Surface Pro 7 Randomly Shutting Down

Anonymous
2020-02-11T17:37:21+00:00

Hello,

I bought a Surface Pro 7 last week and it was having a problem where it was randomly shutting off (like the screen goes to black and then when I start it up, it boots up like normal). When I open the computer back up, anything I had opened is closed. I went and returned it for a new one, thinking that I had a buggy laptop. This new one is having the same problems too. I updated when I first got it and I did the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit, which said that everything is working fine. I also changed the sleep settings and that didn't help. I posted the reliability history that I have gotten.

Thank you.

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-03-17T20:40:52+00:00

    Just learned in another thread about four options on drivers and the like (could be that it is not a hardware problem), the one from seanbob28 here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro7-surfdrivers/surface-pro-7-shutting-down-randomly/070429f1-ad5e-48eb-acaa-6daca59739b0?messageId=6e8583ec-6c62-47f5-8aae-37c0b6c6197b&page=17

    I used option four which said:

    Option 4: Disable the "Panel Self Refresh" option in the Intel Graphics Command Center:

    • "I've fixed it on my SP7 i5/8G/256G by installing the Intel Graphics Command Center from the Microsoft Store, opening it, going to System>Power>Panel Self Refresh and turning it off for both "On Battery" and "Plugged In"."

    At least it didn't crash in the 25 minutes after that anymore which is a huge improvement to the last hours...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-03-17T20:08:29+00:00

    Hi, I have the same issue, since today it is getting worse, I just have to stay away for about 30-60 seconds and it just crashed for roughly the 10th time today - absolutely not usable anymore... I have an old Surface Pro (3 years) which has never had such issues... what is wrong with my new i7 256 GB 16GB Ram which is automatically kept up-to-date and has been bought in the Microsoft online store End of November 2019?

    Please give an update and not just "we are talking to the team.." - this issue seems to have been out there way too long.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-03-13T21:16:11+00:00

    I've had the same issue. My laptop is about 4 months old and I spent way too much money on it to not be able to depend on it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-03-05T15:27:11+00:00

    Is there any progress with this issue? It almost been a month and this problem has still be happening. The only ways that I can manage the problem is to either leave the laptop plugged in or have a video running in the background. I really like this laptop and want to keep using it, but as a college student, this problem is frustrating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments