Greetings Mark,
The best option available, is while the Surface is connected to a second monitor, to set it to "Second screen only".
You can do this by:
- Swipe from the right
- Touch Devices
- Touch Second Screen
- Touch Second Screen only.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I've read many question posted similar to this. The truth is none of them answer it. Let's change that or at least get Microsoft to do something about it. Every other computer in the world can do this...why not the surface pro!!! I see the exact behavior occur that I desire when I go to second screen only option...but it doesn't stay there. For obvious reasons....we need a new power option! Does anybody know how to effectively "yell" at Microsoft?
***Subject edited for clarity by the moderator.***
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Greetings Mark,
The best option available, is while the Surface is connected to a second monitor, to set it to "Second screen only".
You can do this by:
This still doesn't solve the problem, because I would have to change those settings all day long. I would have to set a large timeout when I want to keep it on, then change it to 1 minute when I want to turn it off, and so on.
I want to be able to turn off the screen when I want to, not on a random timeout. This is basic stuff that all laptops have supported for years, for example on my Asus Laptop:
As you can see you can set it to turn off the display when you press the power button. On the Surface Pro 3 that option was never available. That is what I need.
Please do. Thank you
Hi there JordanLance
Thanks for reaching out and I apologize for any frustration you are having. To make sure I understand what it is you are looking to do with Surface, I'd like to clarify a few things. First, are you wanting to turn the screen off, but continue running items in the background, like music? Second, are you having issues with projecting to a second screen, in that Surface only projects to a second screen for a short amount of time?
Thanks in advance for following up!
Kindest Regards
Hi Jordan, there is no off button for the monitor, but contrary to what Steven told you, there is a way to make the screen close instead of going to sleep after a few minutes of inactivity.
Simply go to your start screen and search for Sleep in parameters. The first thing it finds should be the sleep mode settings (I'm not sure how it's called. In french it's "Modifier les conditions de mise en veille de l'ordinateur". There you can select after how many minutes you want your monitor to fade, then go completely black, and then sleep. Personnaly I make it fade after 5 minutes, close after 10, and I don't let it sleep unless I manually ask it to go to sleep with the button on top of my Surface.
You can have different settings depending on if it's running on the battery or not.