Are you using a usb dongle for connectivity to the mouse/keyboard? If so, put the dongle in the laptop and not the dock.
Surface Laptop 4 + dock - Mouse & keyboard lag / freeze
Hi,
This issue has been plaguing the Surface products - and I'm "glad" to report that the Laptop 4 is also suffering from it.
The problem: When I connect USB peripherals (especially gaming mice and keyboards) to the Surface Dock, they lag and/or hang every X time.
The same issue has been reported for the Surface Book 2 and Laptop 3. I own the latter and I've experienced this issue on that device personally. It has been fixed since, so I'm kind of disappointed to see the same issue on the Laptop 4 now.
To make matters worse, I've also experienced this issue with a Logitech MX Keys keyboard (not a gaming device). Every few minutes, sometimes more often, a key haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaangs <- and causes stuff like that.
As I understand, the high report rate of gaming devices causes the Dock to disconnect-then-reconnect the usb devices every so often. Another cause I've read about was recent Windows versions powering down USB ports or something like that.
I can confirm that the same Dock (v1, in this case) with a Laptop 3 does not suffer from this issue. It's just the Laptop 4.
The only way to work around it is to connect the device via bluetooth (not always an option as many gaming devices do not have BT) or plug the USB in the laptop (not the Dock). This works for one device, but unfortunately I'm one of those guys who insist on using both a keyboard and a mouse :))
I would really appreciate a fix for this issue. Thanks!
Related support topics (barely scratching the Surface (ha!) here:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/mouse-scrolling-lag-surface-dock-connection-issues/bdd8362c-e176-4d37-9298-c21dd260be04 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/mouse-scrolling-lag-surface-dock-connection-issues/bdd8362c-e176-4d37-9298-c21dd260be04
Surface | Surface Laptop | Performance and maintenance
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2022-10-24T18:39:53+00:00 -
Anonymous
2022-10-12T13:55:06+00:00 Any updates on this? The powercfg settings didn't work on Surface Laptop 4 with Surface Dock 2. I am on the latest everything.
-
Anonymous
2022-08-29T17:56:40+00:00 Hi Signiner,
After you've done the changed you mentioned, did you experience any issue on your computer?
I have the same Surface 3 and this lagging problem is driving me insane, besides it does not let me work properly, since this computer is my work station.
Do you recommend me to change the setup?
Thank you
-
Anonymous
2022-06-25T16:28:17+00:00 Works for me with surface book 3 and surface dock. amaze
-
Anonymous
2022-05-02T15:01:42+00:00 Confirmed updated firmware this does NOT fix the issue, would really like some attention to this, buying new hardware shouldn't be so obviously glitchy without resolution. This was an issue with the original dock and surface book when first released but resolved itself eventually, come on Microsoft, be better.