Surface Laptop 4 + dock - Mouse & keyboard lag / freeze

Anonymous
2021-12-17T17:47:47+00:00

Hi,

This issue has been plaguing the Surface products - and I'm "glad" to report that the Laptop 4 is also suffering from it.

The problem: When I connect USB peripherals (especially gaming mice and keyboards) to the Surface Dock, they lag and/or hang every X time.

The same issue has been reported for the Surface Book 2 and Laptop 3. I own the latter and I've experienced this issue on that device personally. It has been fixed since, so I'm kind of disappointed to see the same issue on the Laptop 4 now.

To make matters worse, I've also experienced this issue with a Logitech MX Keys keyboard (not a gaming device). Every few minutes, sometimes more often, a key haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaangs <- and causes stuff like that.

As I understand, the high report rate of gaming devices causes the Dock to disconnect-then-reconnect the usb devices every so often. Another cause I've read about was recent Windows versions powering down USB ports or something like that.

I can confirm that the same Dock (v1, in this case) with a Laptop 3 does not suffer from this issue. It's just the Laptop 4.

The only way to work around it is to connect the device via bluetooth (not always an option as many gaming devices do not have BT) or plug the USB in the laptop (not the Dock). This works for one device, but unfortunately I'm one of those guys who insist on using both a keyboard and a mouse :))

I would really appreciate a fix for this issue. Thanks!

Related support topics (barely scratching the Surface (ha!) here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/mouse-scrolling-lag-surface-dock-connection-issues/bdd8362c-e176-4d37-9298-c21dd260be04 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/mouse-scrolling-lag-surface-dock-connection-issues/bdd8362c-e176-4d37-9298-c21dd260be04

Surface | Surface Laptop | Performance and maintenance

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-11-11T12:14:07+00:00

    I am also facing the same keyboard lag issue. Infact 20 out of 20 colleagues I checked with have the same problem, have no resolution yet!! Frustrating to use Surface 4.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-28T22:36:47+00:00

    Have you tried a usb-to-ethernet adapter and plugged the adapter into the dock as a workaround? Seems crazy to lose the wired connection when being on a dock.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-26T21:46:18+00:00

    Try this website and go straight to "Fix-2  Disable Intelppm registry in Registry Editor":

    https://thegeekpage.com/fix-cpus-are-not-running-at-its-full-capacity-in-windows-10/I am experiencing this issue on a Surface Laptop 4. Changed the intelppm value to 4. So far no lag/stutter/freezing.

    Intel Processor Power Management (PPM)

    The below is based on hunches on the internet

    1 = Access to full power range as required

    3 = Default (leaning towards always on power savings plan)

    4 = Disabled

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-24T21:06:12+00:00

    I tried to plug it into the laptop directly and the system still lags. Doing some research, the issue seems related to the Surface Dock 2 and how the USB Connection Manager (Surface UCM UCSI HID Client) for the dock behaves. When there's an error with this device the lag is present. I have the latest drivers and updates applied.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-10-24T19:29:53+00:00

    I already did that.

    The dongle stays on the laptop and still lags a lot

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments