Exactly, I experience this every day. When the machine is under any sort of load, the keyboard / mouse become completely unstable. I think it is whenever read/write is happening to disk, because it happens very frequently whenever I'm coding, and saving frequently, or when searching in the start menu. As it is saving, or doing a lot of operations, any key presses I make could suddenly be repeated indefinitely, or not register at all. It is usually associated with the Ctrl key being pressed, e.g. Ctrl + C, or Ctrl + S, as if there is a buffer issue. This even gets worse if you increase the power mode anything above Balanced, which is ridiculous.
Surface Laptop 4 + dock - Mouse & keyboard lag / freeze
Hi,
This issue has been plaguing the Surface products - and I'm "glad" to report that the Laptop 4 is also suffering from it.
The problem: When I connect USB peripherals (especially gaming mice and keyboards) to the Surface Dock, they lag and/or hang every X time.
The same issue has been reported for the Surface Book 2 and Laptop 3. I own the latter and I've experienced this issue on that device personally. It has been fixed since, so I'm kind of disappointed to see the same issue on the Laptop 4 now.
To make matters worse, I've also experienced this issue with a Logitech MX Keys keyboard (not a gaming device). Every few minutes, sometimes more often, a key haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaangs <- and causes stuff like that.
As I understand, the high report rate of gaming devices causes the Dock to disconnect-then-reconnect the usb devices every so often. Another cause I've read about was recent Windows versions powering down USB ports or something like that.
I can confirm that the same Dock (v1, in this case) with a Laptop 3 does not suffer from this issue. It's just the Laptop 4.
The only way to work around it is to connect the device via bluetooth (not always an option as many gaming devices do not have BT) or plug the USB in the laptop (not the Dock). This works for one device, but unfortunately I'm one of those guys who insist on using both a keyboard and a mouse :))
I would really appreciate a fix for this issue. Thanks!
Related support topics (barely scratching the Surface (ha!) here:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/mouse-scrolling-lag-surface-dock-connection-issues/bdd8362c-e176-4d37-9298-c21dd260be04 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/mouse-scrolling-lag-surface-dock-connection-issues/bdd8362c-e176-4d37-9298-c21dd260be04
Surface | Surface Laptop | Performance and maintenance
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2022-11-15T08:55:58+00:00 -
Anonymous
2022-04-27T16:27:55+00:00 I have the same issue with Surface Laptop 4 13inch 32g black, always an issue with connecting my MX keyboard and surface dock 2. Windows 11 sucks. my 1st generation Surface Laptop still has windows 10 and works 10000000000 better
-
Anonymous
2022-02-04T15:54:51+00:00 Branden,
Thanks for your post! So far (knocking on wood) my issue is now resolved. Much appreciated!
Based upon your link to Reddit, looks like there is more of a better community on there than help here.
Thanks!
John
-
Anonymous
2022-01-14T00:41:28+00:00 Have we found an resolution on this? Having the same issue, thinking it was a KVM issue I swapped out multiple with the same issue.
Up to date on all software and firmware
-
Anonymous
2021-12-17T19:21:31+00:00 Hi Rejh Gadellaa,
After some research, I have found that updating your device to the latest software is usually a fix for a lagging windows computer. Also consider upgrading to windows 11 as it runs smoother and could solve the problems because it is the latest updated Windows service.