Just happened again while launching Steam.... at least today, it seems more prone to happen during initial program launches.
Do you want to switch to tablet mode?
Windows Update updated my SB today. There was one Windows security update, the Malicious Software Removal Tool, and a Flash update for IE.
Today, I have started receiving unsolicited Notifications asking me if I want to switch to tablet mode? These have come at random times while using the SB with the display attached to the keyboard. At no time in the last week have I disconnected the display from the keyboard.
Why have these inappropriate Notifications started? How can I end them?
Surface | Surface Book | Power and battery
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2015-12-11T20:55:32+00:00 -
Anonymous
2015-12-11T20:13:25+00:00 Interestingly enough, it just happened again while launching Photoshop CC 2015. Closed and re-opened to see if that would trigger it again but it didn't, so it's not consistant. Maybe it has something to do with engaging or disengaging the dGPU in the base?
-
Anonymous
2015-12-11T19:48:52+00:00 Hello all
Please report your experiences after installing the latest Windows 10 updates.
Also, please tell us more about events preceding this behavior. Was Surface mobile recently? Does use of a certain accessory, activity or app seem to lead to this?
Thank you for providing feedback.
Best regards
Just happened again. This time right after I clicked to launch Photoshop CC 2015 (while the splash screen was still open). Just once this time.
I clicked to open it using an external wireless mouse, so once again, the Surface Book was still on the table.
I'm convinced this issue has nothing to do with the connector pins between the base and the device as (once again) the wireless mouse is connected via a USB dongle that's plugged into the Dock that's plugged into the base, and mouse movement was never interrupted.
Really seems random (which I know is impossible to troubleshoot)... Maybe there are some voltage irregularities causing the sensor that's supposed to trigger tablet mode to act up? It might be possible that the sudden extra power draw from the CPU while launching PS did this? I don't know. I just hope you've got devices at MS that do this from time to time which have some extra debugging logging going on so that you can track down the cause.
-
Anonymous
2015-12-10T19:06:39+00:00 Hello all
Please report your experiences after installing the latest Windows 10 updates.
Also, please tell us more about events preceding this behavior. Was Surface mobile recently? Does use of a certain accessory, activity or app seem to lead to this?
Thank you for providing feedback.
Best regards
Just happened again. This time while I was literally doing nothing. I had just booted up the Surface Book, and left it alone while I handled some paper work. After sitting there idle (and perfectly still) on my desk with no apps running, the alert just appeared. Only happened once this time.
-
Anonymous
2015-12-09T20:11:27+00:00 Hello all
Please report your experiences after installing the latest Windows 10 updates.
Also, please tell us more about events preceding this behavior. Was Surface mobile recently? Does use of a certain accessory, activity or app seem to lead to this?
Thank you for providing feedback.
Best regards
Happens totally randomly, but when it does happen, I tend to see it a few times in near succession.
At first I thought it may be a poor dock connection when mobile, but just now it happened to me while the SB is sitting still on a desk when I clicked "check for updates" in the Windows App Store with my wireless bluetooth mouse... which is to say, the SB was as still as is possible. It has been sitting here in this same spot for several hours now, and the screen is very flushly and evenly attached to the base. To test again, I clicked "check for updates again" and it did not happen... but then did a few seconds later when I opened the windows settings app (to, of course, check for updates as I do every day in hopes that this thing will finally be patched).
I then came here to write this. Will try and report when I notice it again, but it really does seem random.
As for some background, I have recently cleaned all ports with rubbing alcohol to make sure there's no residue (I couldn't see any before or after, but did so just in case since some have suggested dirty ports may be to blame). It made no difference. Still get the random tablet mode / rotation lock prompts. Whatever hardware was designed to detect if the screen is/isn't detatched is totally worthless right now. It's worth mentioning, when it thinks it should go into tablet mode, my wireless mouse (which uses a USB dongle plugged into the base) never stopped working... so clearly the Surface Book's screen connectors never actually lost their connection. From what I gather, this is a problem with every unit... If that's not the case, please tell me as I'd rather get mine swapped out sooner rather than later if I've got a dud.