Do you want to switch to tablet mode?

Anonymous
2015-11-10T23:42:15+00:00

Windows Update updated my SB today.  There was one Windows security update, the Malicious Software Removal Tool, and a Flash update for IE.

Today, I have started receiving unsolicited Notifications asking me if I want to switch to tablet mode?  These have come at random times while using the SB with the display attached to the keyboard.  At no time in the last week have I disconnected the display from the keyboard.

Why have these inappropriate Notifications started?  How can I end them?

Surface | Surface Book | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-09T05:22:48+00:00

    Hello all

    Please report your experiences after installing the latest Windows 10 updates.

    Also, please tell us more about events preceding this behavior.  Was Surface mobile recently?  Does use of a certain accessory, activity or app seem to lead to this?

    Thank you for providing feedback.

    Best regards 

    Hi there,

    I certainly will.....I had been seeing this issue.

    (All of the below is with the clipboard attached)

    After the 12/2 update.

    No more......'display driver stopped working'.......messages anymore.

    But then my SB i7/16/512, seemed to be randomly entering 'Tablet' mode. (a brief flash of the screen was noted)

    I tried to stop this by enabling, 'Always ask me before switching' in the Tablet Mode settings.

    I would then get random messages popping up, asking me if I wanted to 'enable tablet mode'.

    This was always coupled with an 'auto rotate on' window popping up in the top left portion of the screen.

    (it's as though it thinks the clipboard has been detached)

    These occurrences seem to be completely random, and I'll try and keep note of any in the future.

    12/9.....

    After and overnight hibernation.

    Just brought my SB out of hibernation and got the message......'do you want to switch to tablet mode'......

    (Rotation lock is no longer grayed out in the notification panel)

    Edit....

    After a short delay~1 min.....Rotation lock is now grayed out again.

    12/9.....

    I can usually re-produce the 'do you want to switch to tablet mode' by doing the following.

    From the start screen I launch the 'Store' app, and then check for updates......if I check for updates 2 or 3 times, this usually triggers the 'do you want to switch to tablet mode' message appear + the 'auto rotate on' message.

    Also, the 'Rotation lock' is no longer grayed out in the notification area.....again, after a short delay, the 'Rotation Lock' becomes grayed out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-12-08T23:37:34+00:00

    I think I may have not a fix but a reason and solution.

    It was consistent across apps and time UNTIL I released the screen on the surface book and then reattached it.

    It looks like a partial dock problem.

    This was across reboots and all. The screen and touch work, the keyboard works, BUT the screen(pad) does not charge well, but can draw power !!!!!!

    The quick fix is to hold the detach button till it clicks, release the button. The screen (pad) then reattaches and the problem goes away

    hope this helps

    b.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-12-08T22:47:09+00:00

    Hello all

    Please report your experiences after installing the latest Windows 10 updates.

    Also, please tell us more about events preceding this behavior.  Was Surface mobile recently?  Does use of a certain accessory, activity or app seem to lead to this?

    Thank you for providing feedback.

    Best regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-12-08T19:40:36+00:00

    Thank you for getting back to me Fatou8. As far as your suggestion is concerned, I really don't want to change the settings to "Always ask me before switching" because I prefer it to switch automatically depending on whether the screen is attached to the keyboard base or not. In other words, when I undock into "clipboard" mode, then I want it to automatically switch to tablet mode and when I redock it, to switch back to desktop mode. The problem I'm having is that when working in desktop mode, my Surface suddenly will switch to tablet mode on its own without me disconnecting the top from the keyboard base. This doesn't always happen, but it happens frequently enough to become annoying.

    So, is there anything else I can try to avoid this occurring?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-12-05T20:56:14+00:00

    An incredibly annoying issue I'm currently having, one of many issues, is that even though I will be working in desktop mode with the keyboard dock attached and even while I'm typing, my Surface Book automatically switches to tablet mode. Is this due to a weak connection between the "clipboard" and the keyboard base? It is really quite irritating and seems to be happening more frequently since the December 2 hardware update.

    Does anyone know what I can do to fix this problem? Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments