Keyboard gets 'stuck' after 5 seconds while playing games...

Anonymous
2013-12-20T14:04:08+00:00

And since a lot of games use AWSD for movement, this is a problem.

Basically - for example - playing Minecraft, when running forward (w) if you hold the w key down for 5 seconds, it'll 'stick' - and you can let go of the keyboard, and you will continue moving forward until you hit w again.  This also happened in several other games (Star Wars the Old Republic; Bioshock Infinite and Borderlands 2 (I think - I'm not sure it happened there...  But regardless).

I've tried turning off all the sticky keys - filter keys - all that stuff; I can't find any way of stopping this so far.  Is it maybe a defective keyboard?  Or just a 'flaw' in the design?

Thanks.

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-12T10:37:36+00:00

    This is definitely a bug in the Type Cover 2 keyboard software/firmware, not hardware: I have two of them and they both do it, while it does not happen with USB or Bluetooth keyboards.

    And it does not only happen in games. It also happens in Windows Explorer with Shift, Control and Alt keys (it does not seem to happen with normal keys there).

    For example, open a folder and shift-click several icons to create a multiple selection, but keep the shift key down for more than 5 seconds while you are doing it. The shift key will then be locked after you release it, and further clicks will add to the selection. Pressing the shift key once will release the lock. Same with Control and Alt keys.

    Needless to say, this is absolutely maddening, also because something weird happens and you never really know which modifier key got locked. I wonder if they can even release a firmware patch for Type Covers: we may have to buy new ones when (if) they fix it.

    I noticed this week that stucked keys happen in Windows on the dektop, too.

    The only thing that helped was reboot the Surface Pro 2. I am using the touch cover. It certainly is a driver issue.

    I really hope this gets addressed quickly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-08T11:41:06+00:00

    This is definitely a bug in the Type Cover 2 keyboard software/firmware, not hardware: I have two of them and they both do it, while it does not happen with USB or Bluetooth keyboards.

    And it does not only happen in games. It also happens in Windows Explorer with Shift, Control and Alt keys (it does not seem to happen with normal keys there).

    For example, open a folder and shift-click several icons to create a multiple selection, but keep the shift key down for more than 5 seconds while you are doing it. The shift key will then be locked after you release it, and further clicks will add to the selection. Pressing the shift key once will release the lock. Same with Control and Alt keys.

    Needless to say, this is absolutely maddening, also because something weird happens and you never really know which modifier key got locked. I wonder if they can even release a firmware patch for Type Covers: we may have to buy new ones when (if) they fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-29T23:20:33+00:00

    I too get this in WoW.  We absolutely need to use the keyboard in game.  I've noticed this since day one, but didn't think too much of it because I would just switch over to my laptop for any serious gaming.  I do want to use my Surface to play WoW, but this issue is pretty bad.

    I am glad to read someone has the same issue.

    And since the sp2 is not considered to be a gaming device, I guess only few people will notice this  problem.

    Funny thing though, MS used to present WOW as one of the games running on the sp2 during official events...

    I hope this gets fixed. WOW just runs fine on the sp2.

    (although I wish, they fixed game resolution scaling on the sp2 display, too. But this can be circumvented by lowering the resolution in desktop mode. The stuck W keyboard button is much more serious...)

    Yes and agreed.  WoW does run very well on the SP2.  Overall (minus the keyboard issue), frame rate is high and the SP2 is a very capable device.  Rich sound, vivid color, and the SSD makes it even so much faster in a game like WoW.  If I (as an example) had to check my farms in game, then there wouldn't be an issue.  Anything that isn't too stressful seems to be fine.  Once you're out in the world doing whatever it is you want to do, then the stuck keys comes into play.  I find that hitting both mouse buttons together helps 50% of the time.  The worst is when the A or D is stuck and you can't get out of it.  I had to take the keyboard off and reattach it.  It helped that one time.  In any case, we really can't use this as a gaming device at the moment until this is fixed.  Imagine the horrors of playing PVP with such a bug.  Ouch.

    For others: To unearth this issue simply play and I mean really play some games intensely.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-29T23:06:27+00:00

    I too get this in WoW.  We absolutely need to use the keyboard in game.  I've noticed this since day one, but didn't think too much of it because I would just switch over to my laptop for any serious gaming.  I do want to use my Surface to play WoW, but this issue is pretty bad.

    I am glad to read someone has the same issue.

    And since the sp2 is not considered to be a gaming device, I guess only few people will notice this  problem.

    Funny thing though, MS used to present WOW as one of the games running on the sp2 during official events...

    I hope this gets fixed. WOW just runs fine on the sp2.

    (although I wish, they fixed game resolution scaling on the sp2 display, too. But this can be circumvented by lowering the resolution in desktop mode. The stuck W keyboard button is much more serious...)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-12-29T21:47:24+00:00

    I too get this in WoW.  We absolutely need to use the keyboard in game.  I've noticed this since day one, but didn't think too much of it because I would just switch over to my laptop for any serious gaming.  I do want to use my Surface to play WoW, but this issue is pretty bad.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments