Keyboard gets 'stuck' after 5 seconds while playing games...

Anonymous
2013-12-20T14:04:08+00:00

And since a lot of games use AWSD for movement, this is a problem.

Basically - for example - playing Minecraft, when running forward (w) if you hold the w key down for 5 seconds, it'll 'stick' - and you can let go of the keyboard, and you will continue moving forward until you hit w again.  This also happened in several other games (Star Wars the Old Republic; Bioshock Infinite and Borderlands 2 (I think - I'm not sure it happened there...  But regardless).

I've tried turning off all the sticky keys - filter keys - all that stuff; I can't find any way of stopping this so far.  Is it maybe a defective keyboard?  Or just a 'flaw' in the design?

Thanks.

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-02-11T03:35:14+00:00

    Greetings all,

    We are actively investigating this issue and will work on a resolution to ensure our customers have the best possible experience on their Surface devices.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-15T02:28:02+00:00

    If the floor models at the MS store have this issue, or I can't resolve it, the tech recommended I return the unit. Unfortunately, it seems like that's going to be what ends up happening. Probably also not going to buy another one unless I can CONFIRM this issue goes away with patches or updates.

    I've tried it on several machines (the surface 2 and the surface pro 2) - several different covers (both versions) - and it still does it.  So, I can guarantee they won't be able to fix it.  :(

    It's very interesting it works as intended in safe-mode; but that confirms what we've all been thinking:  software/firmware issue.  Thus far, the only fix I've found:  Use a bluetooth keyboard.  The logitech (and even the bluetooth MS wedge keyboard) work perfectly...

    Made it to the MS store tonight and every surface pro tablet I tried in there had this issue. I was able to reproduce it with the type and touch covers. The tech there told me that behavior is "built into the cover" and there are "no settings for it". Considering it works for me in safe mode, I still believe it's a driver issue.

    Anyway, the fact that those older surfaces had the same problem leads me to believe this issue (if MS even acknowledges it as an issue) is not high on their priority list. Tomorrow I'm returning the Surface and the cover. I really hope they fix this, but I don't want to be stuck with it if they never get around to a patch. If they do end up fixing it, I can always pick one up at a later time assuming I haven't found another similar product.

    The MS tech I originally had the call with is going to call me back Thursday. I'll let him know I returned it and highly recommend MS look into the missing Telemetry driver and this stuck key issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-14T14:27:52+00:00

    If the floor models at the MS store have this issue, or I can't resolve it, the tech recommended I return the unit. Unfortunately, it seems like that's going to be what ends up happening. Probably also not going to buy another one unless I can CONFIRM this issue goes away with patches or updates.

    I've tried it on several machines (the surface 2 and the surface pro 2) - several different covers (both versions) - and it still does it.  So, I can guarantee they won't be able to fix it.  :(

    It's very interesting it works as intended in safe-mode; but that confirms what we've all been thinking:  software/firmware issue.  Thus far, the only fix I've found:  Use a bluetooth keyboard.  The logitech (and even the bluetooth MS wedge keyboard) work perfectly...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-14T04:43:12+00:00

    Figured I'd pop in here and report I'm having the same issue. I originally responded to this thread. Definitely a problem and needs to be fixed.

    Quick update...

    Spent some time with MS on the phone tonight. Went though a refresh and a bunch of other troubleshooting steps.

    The tech was unaware of the missing telemetry driver issue...that's a pretty big deal for anyone who does a factory reset so I was surprised by that.

    After the reset I confirmed that keys were still sticking. In fact, I held down shift on the cover to make it stick. Even if you remove the cover and insert a normal keyboard the shift key stays stuck. It appears it's toggling something in software stick the key. I had to tap the shift key on the usb keyboard to unstick it. After It was unstuck, I was unable to make any more keys stick using the usb keyboard.

    The tech asked me to take the tab and cover to a MS store and try my cover with other tabs and my tab with other covers there. I don't think it's going to fix anything, but I made an appt anyway. While I'm there I'll have the techs there look at it.

    At this point I'm betting on a software or driver issue. The sticking of the keys seems really deliberate. Also of note - if I boot this thing into safe mode, the cover works flawlessly. Lastly, I can open notepad and just hold down a letter key such as "g". With word wrap on, it will repeat the character for about 2.5 lines worth then magically stop. If I do this in safe mode with the cover or with a usb keyboard it will repeat the character forever like it should. There is definitely bad software at play here.

    As far as my issue goes, I'm able to reproduce the behavior with no external mouse attached. I literally can do a factory reset, and get this behavior with only the type cover installed.

    If the floor models at the MS store have this issue, or I can't resolve it, the tech recommended I return the unit. Unfortunately, it seems like that's going to be what ends up happening. Probably also not going to buy another one unless I can CONFIRM this issue goes away with patches or updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-01-13T04:54:46+00:00

    Figured I'd pop in here and report I'm having the same issue. I originally responded to this thread. Definitely a problem and needs to be fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments