Surface Pro 6 gets stuck at 0.40GHz (While charging) (SOLVED)

Anonymous
2019-06-23T19:00:04+00:00

I'm posting to report a bug that seems to occur on rare occasions. Every once in a while my Surface Pro 6 gets stuck at 0.40GHz while it's plugged to the adapter but works fine on battery. I've had this issue occur about 4-5 times throughout the 6 months I've owned it. The only fix for this issue is re-installing the Surface Pro 6 firmware. I think it's more firmware related than hardware, or maybe the chip that holds the firmware is defective? Anyways, I thought I'd report this issue because it still needs fixing.

SOLVED - This was fixed with the latest (Nov) firmware update.

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-10-25T03:04:31+00:00

Thank you for reporting the issue.  

A fix for this issue is currently available through our Release Preview ring in the Windows Insider Program.  When joining the Windows Insider program you will stay on a retail build of Windows, but get a sneak peek at on-going development of apps, drivers, and other quality updates.  As of the date of this post, Release Preview installs Windows 10 version 1909.  In addition, you will also receive prerelease updates for Surface before they are more broadly available.  The Windows Insiders program is designed exclusively for people who want to be involved in the process of trying out new updates before the final release to everyone.

To join the Windows Insider Program go to Settings> Update & Security > Windows Insider Program and click Get Started.  You will need to provide a Microsoft Account and when prompted choose Release Preview. You can always go to Settings> Update & Security > Windows Insider Program to opt out of receiving preview updates.  

This fix will be generally available through Windows Update as soon as it completes our quality testing.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-03-31T10:59:47+00:00

    Thanks, but this is actually my second SB2. The first one had a bad power button. This is a software/Firmware fix that MS really needs to address. I would totally take your advice and exchange it if I knew it would work. The problem is this didnt act like this before. If I exchanged, as soon as I updated to the latest version/software/firmware, I'll be right back to where I'm at. It's been doing it for a while though. I didnt really care because I kept it plugged in most of the time. But now that I'm working more often remotely, it's become really irritating! It's definitely not a thermal issue because if running a spreadsheet causes the system to overheat and go into protection mode...then this is the worst laptop on the planet. However, I know that is not the case because as soon as I get to 50% battery and it goes/throttles to .38GHZ, all I have to do is plug it in and it's back to full clock speed. 

    If MS chooses not to fix this, then I guess I will need to choose a different laptop manufacturer next time. Which is sad, because I really like MS products...but this is just ridiculous....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-03-31T08:06:26+00:00

    If you're still under warranty, I suggest taking it to a Microsoft store to get it replaced. That was my only solution. I didn't want to download an aftermarket software program and possibly void my warranty, or worse, lose all of my work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-03-31T07:35:52+00:00

    The latest build did not fix this problem...

    I'm running a surfacebook 2 i5, 13 inch, windows 10 pro, build 1909. I get throttled every time the PC gets to 50% battery. It drops to .38GHZ and makes using the device pretty much pointless. Everything takes forever to load. Just moving around the OS becomes abysmal! I even tried resetting/reinstalling windows. Nothing helps. MS needs to fix this already!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments