Surface Pro 6 gets stuck at 0.40GHz (While charging) (SOLVED)

Anonymous
2019-06-23T19:00:04+00:00

I'm posting to report a bug that seems to occur on rare occasions. Every once in a while my Surface Pro 6 gets stuck at 0.40GHz while it's plugged to the adapter but works fine on battery. I've had this issue occur about 4-5 times throughout the 6 months I've owned it. The only fix for this issue is re-installing the Surface Pro 6 firmware. I think it's more firmware related than hardware, or maybe the chip that holds the firmware is defective? Anyways, I thought I'd report this issue because it still needs fixing.

SOLVED - This was fixed with the latest (Nov) firmware update.

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-10-25T03:04:31+00:00

Thank you for reporting the issue.  

A fix for this issue is currently available through our Release Preview ring in the Windows Insider Program.  When joining the Windows Insider program you will stay on a retail build of Windows, but get a sneak peek at on-going development of apps, drivers, and other quality updates.  As of the date of this post, Release Preview installs Windows 10 version 1909.  In addition, you will also receive prerelease updates for Surface before they are more broadly available.  The Windows Insiders program is designed exclusively for people who want to be involved in the process of trying out new updates before the final release to everyone.

To join the Windows Insider Program go to Settings> Update & Security > Windows Insider Program and click Get Started.  You will need to provide a Microsoft Account and when prompted choose Release Preview. You can always go to Settings> Update & Security > Windows Insider Program to opt out of receiving preview updates.  

This fix will be generally available through Windows Update as soon as it completes our quality testing.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-31T01:42:10+00:00

    I updated to the newest build this morning (build 1909), which includes the Surface System Aggregator firmware update (241.6.139.0), and I'm still stuck at .40 GHz.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2020-01-21T16:52:05+00:00

    I agree with you. All you can do is log a support case on the business side https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4037645/contact-surface-warranty-and-software-support-for-business

    I wish I had an actual solution..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-01-21T16:46:10+00:00

    Correct and it's something we're seeing more and more of on all the Surface Devices.

    Issues being fixed in the latest OS releases and then previous releases ignored, despite these OS Builds still being in support.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2020-01-21T16:37:36+00:00

    That's a problem. The firmware fix requires 1903 or later. "The following updates are available as a "Gradual Roll-out" for all Surface Pro 6 devices running Windows 10 May 2019 Update, version 1903 or greater".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments