OneNote "Search Notebooks" field covers the title and won't move

Anonymous
2025-05-15T05:04:16+00:00

In my OneNote the field box for "Search Notebooks" positioned itself over the title of the page and I can't move it.

I tried various Display settings and also reset the cache.

Anyone knows how to solve this ?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-03T17:19:56+00:00

    I thought I had messed with a setting somewhere. So glad I am not crazy - but also feel vindicated since everyone is as upset by this as I am!

    Stopping screwing with stuff!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-05-23T15:57:12+00:00

    I agree with this comment; the Microsoft support response is no help.

    I am a long-time OneNote user and this is the first annoyance I can recall.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-05-27T14:48:44+00:00

    Yes it is in English, but even with the search being on the right side of the notes field, it is still in the way of the left half of the screen, meaning if I have a long title, it still cuts off part of it. Especially when you actually click on the box to do a search and the list of results pops out even further to the left.

    It is VERY unfair to force a change onto one group of people to help them and then cause an issue for another group of people who the app used to work for and now it doesn't.

    Which one is worse, An app that just never worked for you so you probably didn't use it, or having an app that used to work for you that you have been using for almost a decade and now due to a forced change it stopped working?

    The WRONG solution is to screw over one group of people to try and help a different group of people, especially in an app that already lets you move some things from one side to the other. That's not solving a problem, that's just moving the same problem from one group of people to another.

    The CORRECT solution, and what should have been done AND what needs to be done to fix the mistake, is if some people want a feature on the left, and some people want it on the right, then put an option in to let them pick where they want it. Or if it is an issue with only certain languages, then ONLY enable the new search option for people who select those languages and leave it alone for everyone else.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-05-26T23:26:52+00:00

    Yes I agree. I also spent an hour looking for a tab or setting where i could manage it. Ughhh wasted time. I use OneNote daily and I never search my Notebooks. I do use all of the page at times. Useless change.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-06-20T22:43:32+00:00

    Please reverse this change. Pressing Ctrl + F brings up the box and moves the cursor to the box well. Having an existing function superimposed over the user's data, especially with no option to move or turn off the search box, is very frustrating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments