Processes in Microsoft 365 for setting up Office apps, redeeming product keys, and activating licenses.
I finally contacted a service tech .. yes, a real human, and the solution was a reinstall of windows 11. Took about 1.5 hrs...
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Why is Windows Update "2025-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 24H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5062553)" continuously failing to update successfully
On 11-Jul-2025, after several attempts I managed to get the above update downloaded and installed in my Lenovo ThinkBook laptop.
However on 13-Jul-2025, when I restarted my laptop, this very update showed as available for download and install. So, I tried to do the download and install again. Since then I would have made 3 full attempts but every time it goes through the whole process of downloading and installing but at the end I get the error message that the Update Failed.
My PC is running very slow. Apps are not opening for long time (Not Responding) and really frustrating.
Is anyone facing the same problem? How to overcome this?
Processes in Microsoft 365 for setting up Office apps, redeeming product keys, and activating licenses.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I finally contacted a service tech .. yes, a real human, and the solution was a reinstall of windows 11. Took about 1.5 hrs...
not yet.
Hi Russ,
I hope you have a great day ahead,
I would recommend the solutions as below according to your provided error code:
Solution 1: Change the service status from manually to automatic:
Solution 2: Reset the Windows Update component by CMD and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder
1.Search for "Command Prompt" in the Start menu, right-click it, and select "Run as administrator"
2.Type and enter each cmd separately:
3.Once done, restart your PC and check if you fixed the 0x800f0991 update error successfully.
Solution 3: Using DISM command to fix corrupted files:
1.Search for "Powershell" in the Start menu, right-click it, and select "Run as administrator"
2.Type and enter each cmd separately and waiting for each command complete 100% or failed with error code:
sfc/scannow
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
If the above cmd is failed with error code:
Finding the machine has been successfully updated as a source to repair corruptions file.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:[DRIVE]:\sources\sxs /limitaccess
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /startcomponentcleanup
3.Once done, restart your PC and check if you fixed the 0x800f0991 update error successfully.
Solution 4: Manually Download and Install the Update:
Please note that you should download the correct version matching your system architecture.
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB5062553
2.Double click the downloaded package and check if you fixed the 0x800f0991 update error successfully.
If my response was helpful and successfully addressed your issue, I would sincerely appreciate it if you could take a moment to upvote it. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Kind Regards,
I followed the instructions to go into the root directory and typed everything that was outlined. Still nothing. It gets to 6 - 8% downloaded and then stops. I have been trying to install it straight from the Microsoft site. My Windows Update Standalone Installer just sits and runs the green line across the screen saying "Copying packages to the Windows Update cache..." but never finishes.
I have a similar problem: 2025-07 Cumulative Update for Microsoft server operating system version 24H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5062553) Install error - 0x800f0991
Non of the solutions above help.