How to change subscription plan to Microsoft 365 Classic to opt out of AI and avoid the price increase (in New Zealand)

Anonymous
2025-01-08T20:30:38+00:00

Today, 9th January 2025, I received notification that my Microsoft 365 subscription is to increase from NZ$179 to NZ$229 a year, a 28% increase.  The previous price increase was only notified on 13th March 2024.  I understand that the new increase is to fund the new AI features.  For me, the AI features are counterproductive.  I don't want them.

I've read that I can opt out of the price increase and the AI features by changing my subscription plan to Microsoft 365 Classic.  I would like to do that, please.  These articles explain how:

https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles/you-don-t-have-to-pay-the-microsoft-365-price-increase

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/why-has-there-been-a-50-increasing-the-price-of/682421da-01f1-401a-9806-5e868069476a

I've followed the instructions.  But when I get to the 'Cancel Microsoft 365 Family' page https://account.microsoft.com/services/microsoft365/cancel?fref=billing-cancel, I don't see the 'Choose a plan that's right for you' section with the option to change my subscription plan to Microsoft 365 Classic.  Please advise.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-01-22T08:47:55+00:00

This is from the UK, but hopefully will be helpful for those elsewhere

"Downgrade to Microsoft 365 Personal or Microsoft 365 Family Classic

Go to Services & subscriptions. Sign in with the Microsoft account associated with your subscription, if prompted.

  1. Find your current subscription and select Manage > Cancel subscription
  2. To downgrade to another plan with fewer features, select Microsoft 365 Personal Classic or Microsoft 365 Family Classic, or another plan that works for you.
  3. Follow the instructions to complete the switch.

Your existing subscription might not change immediately, but it will automatically switch to the new plan at renewal. You will not be charged for the new plan until it renews."

From https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/switching-to-microsoft-365-personal-and-family-classic-plans-58342e83-38e7-4cda-b63b-88604a8fb7ef

For me standard Microsoft 365 Family (with AI) is cheaper from Amazon & a number of other known name retailers than Family Classic is from Microsoft (the only place you can buy it)

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-14T03:35:58+00:00

    Just spent an hour (hopefully) getting this resolved myself

    Because I am on automatic renewal payment, the option to change to 365 classic is NOT available. The solution seems to be "turn off automatic billing" in your microsoft account under manage my account. When my next billing (my case - May 2025) is meant to occur. It will promote me for payment and then I will get an option to change to 365 classic rather than 365 personal. At present it is not possible to change as I have prepaid 365 personal (with the intrusive copilot AI) until May

    That is a summary of effectively an hour with Customer Service (online only). The person I communicated with was very good. But it took an hour to get that information (or at least what I believe is the issue)

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-09T12:50:07+00:00

    Facing the very same issues I tried reaching out to support as outlined above. Support helpfully directed me to the Sales Team... for a personal account. Twice. They later also suggested Family Classic added AI at an increased cost over the normal Family subscription (???), and managed to get my expiry date blindingly wrong.

    10/10 support folks. Tempted to just actually cancel at this rate, it was already shady practice to force a $50AUD price hike on customers without informing them an option exists to opt out of the entirely unnecessary function creating the increase. Further hiding the opt out behind layer upon layer of burdensome contact lines is fantastic, love your work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-09T21:13:23+00:00

    Just received the same email, in Australia. Followed the same process, and the only option after cancel was to choose a monthly payment plan but actually increases the yearly cost by a further AUD$37. Would love to choose "Family 365 Classic" and do away with the AI features I have no need for. My next step will be to just cancel and go fully Google Docs or Open Office.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-14T22:51:49+00:00

    Steps to disable auto payment

    Go to the Microsoft 365 web page https://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/microsoft-365. (If you are not in New Zealand, substitute your language-country code for 'en-nz' in the URL.)

    Log in to your Microsoft account if you are not already logged in.

    Click on your account name or icon (top left on the Microsoft 365 web page). A drop-down menu should be shown.

    On the drop-down menu, click the 'My Microsoft Account' link. After a few seconds, the Account page should be shown.

    On the Account page, under the Subscriptions header, you should see 'Microsoft 365 Family' or 'Microsoft 365 Personal'.

    The rest of these instructions may not be exactly what you will see, as I've already turned off recurrent billing and can no longer see this.

    Click on the link immediately below 'Microsoft 365 Family' or 'Microsoft 365 Personal' that says something like 'Turn off recurrent billing' or perhaps 'Manage account'. You should now be on a page where you can actually turn off recurrent billing.

    Ignore the button with the scary caption warning you that you will lose your benefits. You will not lose your benefits unless you don't make arrangements to pay (having changed to a Classic subscription) when Microsoft emails you that payment is due.

    Instead, click the button to the right of that one. I think that button also has a rather misleading caption, something like 'Go ahead and cancel'. You will not be cancelling your subscription, just turning off recurring billing.

    To check that it worked, you can then head back to the Account page. The link below 'Microsoft 365 Family' or 'Microsoft 365 Personal' should now read 'Turn on recurring billing'. And Microsoft should shortly email you a confirmation of the change.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments