How to change subscription plan to Microsoft 365 Classic to opt out of AI and avoid the price increase (in New Zealand)

Anonymous
2025-01-08T20:30:38+00:00

Today, 9th January 2025, I received notification that my Microsoft 365 subscription is to increase from NZ$179 to NZ$229 a year, a 28% increase.  The previous price increase was only notified on 13th March 2024.  I understand that the new increase is to fund the new AI features.  For me, the AI features are counterproductive.  I don't want them.

I've read that I can opt out of the price increase and the AI features by changing my subscription plan to Microsoft 365 Classic.  I would like to do that, please.  These articles explain how:

https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles/you-don-t-have-to-pay-the-microsoft-365-price-increase

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/why-has-there-been-a-50-increasing-the-price-of/682421da-01f1-401a-9806-5e868069476a

I've followed the instructions.  But when I get to the 'Cancel Microsoft 365 Family' page https://account.microsoft.com/services/microsoft365/cancel?fref=billing-cancel, I don't see the 'Choose a plan that's right for you' section with the option to change my subscription plan to Microsoft 365 Classic.  Please advise.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-01-22T08:47:55+00:00

This is from the UK, but hopefully will be helpful for those elsewhere

"Downgrade to Microsoft 365 Personal or Microsoft 365 Family Classic

Go to Services & subscriptions. Sign in with the Microsoft account associated with your subscription, if prompted.

  1. Find your current subscription and select Manage > Cancel subscription
  2. To downgrade to another plan with fewer features, select Microsoft 365 Personal Classic or Microsoft 365 Family Classic, or another plan that works for you.
  3. Follow the instructions to complete the switch.

Your existing subscription might not change immediately, but it will automatically switch to the new plan at renewal. You will not be charged for the new plan until it renews."

From https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/switching-to-microsoft-365-personal-and-family-classic-plans-58342e83-38e7-4cda-b63b-88604a8fb7ef

For me standard Microsoft 365 Family (with AI) is cheaper from Amazon & a number of other known name retailers than Family Classic is from Microsoft (the only place you can buy it)

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-04-22T02:21:32+00:00

    This question refers to my post of 19th March. When I was forced to renew my subscription for a month at the inflated rate, I selected monthly billing, not recurring billing. So there was no recurring billing to cancel. I can confirm that I am now on a non-AI annual subscription.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-04-17T00:29:54+00:00

    "this is what I think I should have done before my subscription expired and what will hopefully work for you:

    1. Turn automatic billing back on.
    2. Now you should be able to cancel the subscription a select a ‘classic’ subscription.
      Simon"

    @simon Your instructions worked! Take note anyone who has disabled automatic billing and doesn't see the option to downgrade. Do as 'Simon Says'.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-04-03T06:42:49+00:00

    Hello Whakster,

    As your cancellation error message says your subscription will expire automatically, you must have turned off automatic billing, as I did. So this is what I think I should have done before my subscription expired and what will hopefully work for you:

    Turn automatic billing back on. Now you should be able to cancel the subscription a select a ‘classic’ subscription.

    Please let us know if that works.

    Simon

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more