I can't sync or download a shared folder in OneDrive

Anonymous
2024-06-13T12:31:20+00:00

This just randomly started happening a few days ago and I can't figure out why. I previously had a shared folder synced to my computer from OneDrive and then suddenly it disappeared from my file explorer. I looked at the shared folder to see if I have "can edit" capabilities and I do but the only options that show are to add a shortcut to the folder or to download. However if I click download nothing happens. When I add the link, it opens the web version of OneDrive and not the offline folder that I need.

My OneDrive web also doesn't have a sync button at the top of the page or in the settings drop down menu.

I've tried unlinking and relinking the account. I've tried restarting the computer. I've tried logging out and then back in. I've tried uninstalling OneDrive and reinstalling it. I've made sure it's the latest version. I'm running Windows 10/11. I've tried creating a completely different account. I've tried adding the account to the upgraded family subscription version. I've tried reaching out to Microsoft support for help twice. Can someone please tell me what to do?

***Moved from Microsoft 365 and Office / OneDrive / For business / Windows***

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | Other | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-07T21:34:13+00:00

    I have exactly the same problem suddenly. Family 365 account and up until today, a common shared folder has been appearing in all other OneDrive accounts with everyone able to edit files within File Explorer. I changed the alias of one account last night and suddenly the Shared folder doesn't work and appears with the computer name appended. The link is broken and nothing I do can bring it back, other than a USELESS url to the web version.

    When are Microsoft going to sit up and take notice of this major issue? If it's correct what someone here suggested that it's only available in enterprise licences, can they at least make a formal statement announcing that so we at least know? This is f-ing ridiculous.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-07T08:42:22+00:00

    Seriously when is this going to be fixed, we are so many facing this problem and on many different threads and forums. It's been 8 months since my last post just like many others and nothing has been done or even been communicated. I had so much respect for Microsoft but after all this time I think it's time to jump ship and move to a better service like Dropbox or Google Drive. At this point any service is better than OneDrive, ridiculous!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-06T19:28:19+00:00

    When will this be fixed? ITs been going on for more then 8 months now, and ive been having the issue aswell. Are your devs lazy or something? Just revert to old behavior and DONT TOUCH IT ANYMORE!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T12:11:02+00:00

    Yes, I have the same issue and have spent hours trying to fix it.

    Come on Microsoft, let's get an answer on how to resolve this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T07:08:00+00:00

    Dear Chandy,

    I appreciate you are monitoring multiple threads like this, so I thought it would be easiest to reply in multiple places.

    Can you provide an update on this? The same issue has now affected my account, and I see that it has continued to affect other users since your last update in June through to today - that is, over 8 months.

    I understand that an update had been developed for internal use only in June. Can you provide an update on the progress of this? What is the timeline for this to be fixed? A few days, a week, another 8 months?

    Regards,

    Ben

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments