Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-01T09:46:39+00:00

    Solution with resharing may work for sharepoint/corporate version. For personal version it does not work :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-01T09:26:06+00:00

    My same problem started in 22/2. I checked that I had the old version. Last night I received an email that many files were deleted. I checked onedrive online and saw that I was automatically in the new version. After that the admin stopped the sharing to me and then he shared the folders again. Everything works now! Before sharing i also installed onedrive again in my pc but I'm not sure if it was necessary.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-01T09:04:59+00:00

    Everyone who paid M$ subscription by card should use chargeback to get money back from Microsoft - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chargeback

    When accountant department of M$ will be flooded by thousand of requests from banks maybe they force developers to fix this....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-01T08:33:19+00:00

    I share the same opinion. I have a team where we use about five computers. The first time this issue occurred was a year ago when the problem initially emerged.

    Now, in this second wave, and we are facing it again.

    I was able to fix four devices simply by changing the passwords, creating new folders and re-sharing them. But whats happend and what’s really strange - the problem came in second wawe on February 21, 2025. At first, one PC had empty folders, but the files still opened normally on the device. Then, by February 23, the issue had spread to all the devices I shared data with as an admin. One computer had empty folders, but files could still be accessed locally. Two computers had empty folders where the files would only open online. I was able to fix one of those two by resharing the data and creating a new folder, but the last one just wont work.

    On that last device, I tried everything—uninstalled OneDrive, factory reset the computer, and even created a brand-new Microsoft account —but nothing changed. Out of all five devices, only this one still refuses and keeps creating internet link files instead of actual files. All runs on MS11.

    This is extremely disappointing from Microsoft, especially considering it's a paid service. Their responses always claim they are working on the issue, but 99% of the replies are generic or AI-generated summaries of users' complaints, ending with the usual phrase that they are "working on it."

    The "bug" affects only certain accounts/devices. Why? I don't know.

    At this point, I am exploring Google Drive as an alternative and testing it because I am frustrated with this situation. I also find it unacceptable that I keep losing valuable work. Even after verifying backups on external drives, many files turn out to be incomplete, despite the folders being marked as "Always keep on this computer."

    Microsoft is pushing me to find another provider. If a company cannot properly support its customers and resolve a global issue after nearly a year, then they are simply not reliable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments