Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T03:29:56+00:00

    Windows 11 servicing stack update (KB5052085)- 26100.3189 was installed 25 Feb 2025.

    I am on Windows 11 Version 10.0.26100 Build 26100

    Maybe the servicing stack update caused the issue as that seems to be the only thing around that date

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T03:07:12+00:00

    Is there any update Microsoft??? This is unbelievable! We will also have to move to something else if there isn't a fix soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T02:09:06+00:00

    Mine is now 25.015.0126.0002, and I have the problem. Unfortunately I am so far unable to find a way to revert to see if that helps.

    I've tried turning off services, Scheduled tasks, even fiddling with the registry. Nothing stops the Updater from Running and bumping me to .126

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T01:43:09+00:00

    Today (27/02/2025) is my first time experiencing this problem. I use a Mac and a Windows laptop and they have occurred together.

    It was working fine until yesterday.

    In addition, one of the files in one of the shared folders failed sync for reasons unknown. I haven't opened the file in months.

    As the shared folder was "converted" to a URL shortcut, OneDrive ended up creating a new folder with a suffix of the computer name, much like it does for other sync errors.
    Original folder name: Cars

    Which is now converted to an internet link.

    New folder name created in its place: Cars - *computer name*

    However, one observation: it seems to have only affected my OneDrive Personal.
    My work OneDrive (Business) seems to be unaffected. Sharepoint and Shared folders are working correctly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments