Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T20:44:35+00:00

    Something just happened here. After a new login right now, I was all of a sudden asked if I wanted to finish the installation of sync icons in OneDrive (or something like that). I said Yes, and now I have explorer level access to the shared folders again! The internet shortcuts are also availbale, but have been renamed with a computer name as part of the folder name.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T20:36:06+00:00

    We had this issue happen in June 2024 on 2 computers and another 3 computers on Feburary 24, 2025. The computers that did not have the Search option in OPTIONS were the ones that had the issue. Only work around that worked was create a new account and make sure the Search feature was listed in the OPTIONS. Next: Shared folder to new account and updated Onedrive on desktop to new user and everything is working. The person sharing the folder had the Search in OPTIONS. So any user that didnt have the Search in OPTIONS had the issue. Why is there different versions of this???? Hope this helps in someone finding the real issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T20:32:53+00:00

    This is great if you have a tech team to do it, I don't.

    I work for a small local charity to do this for over 400 files would take forever. but thanks for trying.

    I think MS should just put a proper fix in place.

    As it has been an issue for such a long time, I assume they just don't care.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T20:17:26+00:00

    I'm having the same issue and I'm beginning to think that MSFT tech support cares about as much as Quickbooks Support does (less than zero)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments