I got three $50 dollar charges to my microsoft charges that I cannot get more details on

Anonymous
2023-11-13T16:58:02+00:00

Nov 10, received four fraudulent charges of $50 dollar Microsoft Store credit charges billed to my credit card. One of them got rejected so three of them went through.

I looked on my Microsoft account and see the charges of three $50 dollar charges as Microsoft Store credit and no history showing what my own account was funded or how it was used to purchase anything. Should conclude that this is a fraudster that funded his own account.

I have a new credit card on the way now, trying to figure out how to get in contact with microsoft so I can dig deeper as to where the money went/how it was spent so we can catch this fraudster and provide supporting documents to my bank.

Tried calling support, get point to a website, tried the website, no help or details can be shared even though it's my own account. Please help me get more details.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-11-22T19:54:53+00:00

    The same thing happened to me, I have 6 $50 charges. I reported the fraud to the bank and they are sending me a new card. I was looking through my emails to see if anything stood out for billing, the only thing I found was an email from Microsoft saying a "Mallory Hill" accepted my invitation and joined my Family Group, and then 6 minutes later another email saying that she left my Family Group. I don't know what a Family Group is and I never invited anyone. So I am wondering if Microsoft was hacked and they gained access to our accounts. I tried calling the Microsoft Store support line, but it was an automated message that said that they couldn't help me and to go to help.microsoft.com...but that was a waste of time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-24T17:01:31+00:00

    Hey Teddy and Jennifer there is still a chance to get your money back! Go through Xbox support. I put in a request for a call back and spoke to a live person as my bank is closed. After a brief conversation they refunded me right there and then on the phone. Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-23T04:42:33+00:00

    Same thing just happened to me tonight. When checking emails, I saw there was six purchases from MS. Then further earlier in the day, I got an email that a Susy Foyd joined my MS Family. I have no idea what this is.

    Then my MS account made $50 purchases for gift cards 6 times. I checked with Paypal since my MS account is linked to that and it directed me back to MS. I was able to chat with someone or a bot, not sure what it is. After 15 mins, I was able to get my full refund. I see all 6 refund back into PayPal and since the money never left my bank account, all is fine. But I'll double check in on this after Thanksgiving to ensure the transaction never went through. I also canceled my bank card. Thanks alot Microsoft! Just in time for the holidays.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-23T12:28:35+00:00

    Is there seriously no one from Microsoft that can help us? Same thing happened to me except I had a linked PayPal Account. PayPal is telling me that Microsoft has to fix the issue on their end and won’t do anything. I can’t find ANY way to get Microsoft involved other than this thread of people that have the same issue. Sounds to me like this is a major hack and they are trying real hard to pretend it didn’t exist.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-11-22T20:26:33+00:00

    Same here. I got 3, $50 charges and my bank canceled my card. I got a notification that "Kayla Schmidt" joined my family account then another that she left the family account. I dont know who that is. Has anyone gotten ANY help from Microsoft?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments