Why did Personal Vault authentication change?

Anonymous
2022-10-10T17:31:28+00:00

It used to be that when I accessed my Personal Vault, it would ask me to authenticate with Microsoft Authenticator. That suddenly disappeared, and now it gives me the options of authenticating with a fingerprint or my PIN. I don't want my PIN to work to get to my Personal Vault. Other people use my PIN to access my machine. I don't want to use the same authentication to get to my personal vault. I want that to go to Microsoft Authenticator so that it is different.

Why did it change, and how can I change it back?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-02-12T15:01:26+00:00

    I honestly don’t know and I don’t have the knowledge, time or patience to explore it in detail. I just want it to go back to how it was. I wouldn’t mind if I’d done something to mess it up, but I don’t think I have! It just changed by itself. Very frustrating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-02-12T14:46:35+00:00

    Same issue here as of a few days ago. What the hell is happening here???

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-02-12T11:43:38+00:00

    Using a browser I went into my Microsoft account used by Onedrive, chose OneDrive from the main page, then Manage, and then chose Personal Vault from the options on the left. At that point it required Verify Your Identity, when I click on this I get the issue below. I wonder if others with this issue could see if they get the same broken link?

    I clicked on OnDrive support link but that was the same, a broken link.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-02-12T11:14:33+00:00

    If anyone has a good alternative that uses 2FA please let me know. I’m figuring it might be easier to change to something else completely than struggle to get PV to work. Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-02-12T10:58:04+00:00

    This problem now occurs on my Windows 10 machine too. Effectively no 2FA, unless Microsoft believe 2 x 1FA is 2FA.

    It's very frustrating to have a working product undone in this manner, and I feel I now have to look at alternate methods to achieve the purpose of the Vault.

    To be clear, in my case proper 2FA in not available as an alternate method, it's PIN or fingerprint.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments