Word randomly jumping to end of document and also opening 'save as' (Word for Windows)

Anonymous
2021-07-22T08:40:50+00:00

I'm just after some advice please. I am an academic editor and use Word 2016 professionally. I use track changes for every document. However, I have found that in many cases - probably 75% - I will be working on a document and the cursor will suddenly jump to the last page. This is incredibly annoying. I have discovered that this doesn't happen when I set it to 'view all markup', but I can't edit very easily when I can see all the changes so this is not an appropriate solution. Please note this is NOT the same issue that other users have had with the cursor jumping to the end after pressing 'enter' - that can be fixed in Page Setup and is not the same problem I am experiencing.

Another issue which may or may not be related is that the 'save as' box will also randomly pop up. I am definitely not accidentally pressing the shortcut as it happens when I'm typing or just when moving the cursor along the text using the arrow keys.

This has been happening for around a year now and at first I thought it was a bug that would be patched in later updates, but this hasn't happened. I have repaired the program with no success. Any advice would be most appreciated!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-02T17:24:43+00:00

    And here I thought that's what we were doing! Am going to submit a complaint now and will share here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-02T17:23:57+00:00

    Also, for all of us frustrated editors out there, I'll mention that today I tried going to the Tracking pane and making sure the only items checked are Comments and Insertions and Deletions. I was able to edit for nearly an hours without the cursor jumping, which might be a new record.

    There seems to be a display problem that might/might not be associated, with lines repeating in the display sometimes when the cursor is returned to its proper position.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2022-02-02T17:09:42+00:00

    Report the issue to Microsoft, if you haven't already done so (see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/how-do-i-give-feedback-on-microsoft-office-2b102d44-b43f-4dd2-9ff4-23cf144cfb11). Normally, you won't receive any feedback when you send an error report.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-02T05:16:51+00:00

    I have the same problem with the cursor randomly jumping to the end of a document I’m editing using track changes. It only happens when I’m editing for others, not my own documents. Safe mode doesn’t have the full functionality of Track Changes so that’s not a solution for me. I’ve only been able to do a partial workaround by switching from print to draft view, but if I stay in draft view I have to use the reviewing pane for comments, and that gets really bogged down in a long document. As with the OP, dealing with this is becoming a huge problem as I earn my living as an editor. I hope you can advise a solution for the cursor jumping. I use Office 365 on an HP laptop with Windows 10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments