Word randomly jumping to end of document and also opening 'save as' (Word for Windows)

Anonymous
2021-07-22T08:40:50+00:00

I'm just after some advice please. I am an academic editor and use Word 2016 professionally. I use track changes for every document. However, I have found that in many cases - probably 75% - I will be working on a document and the cursor will suddenly jump to the last page. This is incredibly annoying. I have discovered that this doesn't happen when I set it to 'view all markup', but I can't edit very easily when I can see all the changes so this is not an appropriate solution. Please note this is NOT the same issue that other users have had with the cursor jumping to the end after pressing 'enter' - that can be fixed in Page Setup and is not the same problem I am experiencing.

Another issue which may or may not be related is that the 'save as' box will also randomly pop up. I am definitely not accidentally pressing the shortcut as it happens when I'm typing or just when moving the cursor along the text using the arrow keys.

This has been happening for around a year now and at first I thought it was a bug that would be patched in later updates, but this hasn't happened. I have repaired the program with no success. Any advice would be most appreciated!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-01-21T06:38:33+00:00

    Apply 2 or 3 of them and check it out. I did it like this. One of them worked but I don't know which.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-01-20T19:29:46+00:00

    There are seven options listed in the link. Which one worked in dealing with the cursor jump?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-01-20T19:01:20+00:00

    Pressing SHIFT, CTRL, etc. is the common theme of this problem.

    Apply these solutions step by step. They may save you from the problem.

    They worked in my case. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/troubleshoot/word/issues-when-start-or-use-word

    It happened most recently for me (last night) after either typing a period or pressing the space bar.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-01-20T18:56:26+00:00

    A simple fix to this VERY ANNOYING problem seems to be to close Word completely (save the doc first!) and open it again, starting afresh. A bit like turning off the computer and turning it back on.

    It'll "fix" the problem for a few minutes, maybe. Just like how getting past the trouble spot means you probably won't encounter it again for a while. But trust us, it's not FIXED fixed.

    As many people as have commented here about completely rebooting their computers, checking for upgrades, reverting upgrades, trying on different computers, starting up in Safe Mode, trying different editions of Word, tweaking the registry, and everything else... I feel 100% confident in saying that for most of us, "turning it off and back on again" came hours - or in my case, months - before going to the extreme of trying to describe the problem on a message board. I'm very envious if it truly and permanently worked for you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more