Hi Karl, and thanks to everybody else who is replying. I gain a little bit more understanding with every reply.
Settings reveals an Office 2016 application. which was probably what I was using on my old computer (that old drive was added to this machine as the F: drive). What I have in Settings is the Microsoft Office Professional 2016, Microsoft 365 (the free trial version noted below?), that orange Office application and Excel (surprisingly no Word) along with the other stuff I do not use (Outlook, Publisher, and Access). I believe the Office 2016, given to me by a third-party affiliate as a birthday present, is a perpetual license. However, I have decided to upgrade to the $69 per year personal Microsoft 365.
Before I actually purchase it however, I downloaded the free trial available only for the 2 – 3+ people just to make sure everything is in order before I make the purchase. Well, it's not.
My Start menu shows two icons for Excel and two icons for Word. I got a shock when I opened the top icon for each of them and, believe it or not, a new Microsoft Edge window opened! The second icon opens a new window for Excel/Word with the upgrade advertisement. The first icon that opens Microsoft Edge does not have an uninstall option (see screenshot)…

I need your advice as to whether the following plan is the best way to go. What I'm thinking is to cancel the trial for Microsoft 365 then uninstall everything I can find on my computer having to do with Office in any way whatsoever. Then just go ahead and purchase the $69 personal Microsoft 365. I don't know what to do about the button without the uninstall in the Start menu above – – any advice?
Will this cure my situation?