Processes in Microsoft 365 for setting up Office apps, redeeming product keys, and activating licenses.
So we still know nothing of what happened and why? Nice MC, that's great approach to client ffs.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have office 365. I used to be able to sign out of an office application and the application still worked. I recently made the mistake of updating the office application where Office 365 is now Microsoft 365. It now seems I HAVE to sign in and stay signed in on my own computer where I downloaded and installed my office products to keep using MS Office. When I sign out, the office product deactivates. I don't want to be signed in to use the product that I paid for. It now means that everyone in my family who use the same computer also use my Office account with my name on each office application. Why did this policy change and can we get the previous policy back?
At https://www.reddit.com/r/Office365/comments/fyzfe6/how_to_logout_from_office_365_word_without/ a user commented:
"Yes you used to be able to sign out of Office 365 and it would still stay activated based on the original MS account that has the Office 365 subscription on it... BUT NOW since they changed the name to Microsoft 365 the NEW installers/program are different and if you sign out then it will deactivate Office and make you sign back in... if you updated from an older install then it still seems to let you log out even with the newest updates... but if you did an Online repair then you will be forced to stay signed in... once signed in with a valid subscription account you can sign in with any another microsoft account instead and it will keep the activation still.."
Please revert this manner of using Office products that have been paid for.
Processes in Microsoft 365 for setting up Office apps, redeeming product keys, and activating licenses.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
So we still know nothing of what happened and why? Nice MC, that's great approach to client ffs.
It is possible. I am a 365 Family subscription.
I had a friend look into it. He tried it on several machine and could only recreate the problem on one machine ... !
.
So although as Stephan has noted the official position remains the same, ie this is not supposed to be happening. My friend noted that MS will do what ever it feels like, whenever it feels like doing it.
I was going to create a Feedback, but since the Windows 10 Feedback hub does not work on my machine, and the there is no UserVoice site.
Could someone send a feedback to MS telling them "we are not amused" ...
Yes, I believe I commented in another thread that one of my installations behaved as if sign-in was mandatory, at least for some types of installations. :-(
This clearly must be investigated further.
Several people have suggested that there has been a change. The official message from Microsoft remains the same, though:
Internet access is required to install and activate all the latest releases of apps and services included in all Microsoft 365 subscription plans. Note that if you are an existing subscriber, you do not need to reinstall or purchase another subscription.
For Microsoft 365 plans, Internet access is also needed to manage your subscription account, for example to install Office apps on other PCs or to change billing options. Internet access is also required to access documents stored on OneDrive, unless you install the OneDrive desktop app
You should also connect to the Internet regularly to keep your version of Microsoft 365 up to date and to benefit from automatic upgrades. If you do not connect to the Internet at least every 31 days, your apps will go into reduced functionality mode, which means that you can view or print your documents but cannot edit the documents or create new ones. To reactivate your apps, simply reconnect to the Internet.
You do not need to be connected to the Internet to use the Office apps, such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, because the apps are fully installed on your computer.