Processes in Microsoft 365 for setting up Office apps, redeeming product keys, and activating licenses.
"You experience is something new. I have not seen anyone else mention this problem."
It indeed is relatively new. I had been searching everywhere why this was happening suddenly. The first post I saw was the reddit post mentioned earlier who also encountered it. I also found this one (though not relatively new) https://office-watch.com/2018/office-365-counts-sign-ins/ where it states it now counts sign-in's instead of installs which I guess what is happening. I guess it is the new way of how Microsoft now deals with its product. There was a topic made on the suggestion box for MS Office Word that people can vote on https://word.uservoice.com/forums/304924-word-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/40499542-require-option-to-remain-signed-out-of-office-acco
I had also tried online repair and uninstall / re-install in the hopes that it was just a bug, but alas. Thanks for trying it though! (hope you trying didn't mess-up anything in your installation).