High CPU when using Word/Excel/OneNote and also online.

Anonymous
2018-04-01T23:46:55+00:00
  1. I am running Windows 7 (about to upgrade to Windows 10) and Office 365 from my university-> Office 2016 programs installed on my laptop
  2. If I am working on Word (or One Note or Excel) while connected to the internet (but not using Word Online  etc through my Office account), it starts chewing up CPU , lap top starts overheating and I have to shut program down.
  3. When I try close Word (or One Note or Excel) it will eventually close the window but the program keeps running until I stop it via Task Manager.
  4. This only happens if I am using an Office product - Word, One Note, Excel - when I am online (usually via mobile broadband)
  5. This has been happening for about two weeks after some auto update
  6. I have run virus checks, removed all add ons (there was only one), run repair, uninstalled and reinstalled Office.

This is infuriating as I often access online databases, library catalogues etc as I work. I now cannot work while online which basically means I cannot work at all and have to revert to Office 2007.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-03T09:30:44+00:00

    Hi Kathie,

    Sorry for the late response.

    We need to confirm the following information for the further troubleshooting.

    1. Please try the clean boot, you can refer to this article: How to perform a clean boot in Windows.
    2. Try changing network environment, such as turn on/off Internet, switch from mobile network to Internet cable to see the result.

    Regards,

    Tisky

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-04-28T16:33:46+00:00

    No problems, Tisky.

    I appreciate your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-04-28T16:28:49+00:00

    Hi Kathie,

    Really appreciate the log files in private message, we will involve more resources to check this issue.

    Thanks for your patience.

    Regards,

    Tisky

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-04-28T12:19:14+00:00

    ULS log files now uploaded.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-04-26T16:51:49+00:00

    Completed all your instructions. Can't get ULS log file (see my private message).

    I will be absent for the next 24 hours.

    Thanks for your help to date, Tisky.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments