High CPU when using Word/Excel/OneNote and also online.

Anonymous
2018-04-01T23:46:55+00:00
  1. I am running Windows 7 (about to upgrade to Windows 10) and Office 365 from my university-> Office 2016 programs installed on my laptop
  2. If I am working on Word (or One Note or Excel) while connected to the internet (but not using Word Online  etc through my Office account), it starts chewing up CPU , lap top starts overheating and I have to shut program down.
  3. When I try close Word (or One Note or Excel) it will eventually close the window but the program keeps running until I stop it via Task Manager.
  4. This only happens if I am using an Office product - Word, One Note, Excel - when I am online (usually via mobile broadband)
  5. This has been happening for about two weeks after some auto update
  6. I have run virus checks, removed all add ons (there was only one), run repair, uninstalled and reinstalled Office.

This is infuriating as I often access online databases, library catalogues etc as I work. I now cannot work while online which basically means I cannot work at all and have to revert to Office 2007.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-09T09:05:02+00:00

    Hi Kathie,

    Thanks for your reply.

    Based on your description, the High CPU problem is resolved by the clean boot, but the Word still freezes when connecting to the Internet.

    In your reply, we noticed you have Click-to-Run update and a standalone update running. To avoid the interference, we suggest you create a new profile for testing the result. You can refer to this article: Create a user account in Windows.

    In the other hand, since the high CPU problem doesn't happen in clean boot, you can try opening Word in safe mode in the clean boot without the network to check the result.

    Open Office apps in safe mode on a Windows PC

    In addition, please check in Programs and Features to see if there is any MSI Office installation, if yes, please uninstall it to see whether the problem still persists.

    Regards,

    Tisky

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-05T09:07:21+00:00

    Sorry Tisky. I got sidetracked.

    The problem still occured after I did a clean boot - recall that after a click to run update a week or so ago  there is no high CPU now but word etc still freezes if I connect to the internet. That is still happening. I noticed this time when I connected to the internet I had another click to run update and a standalone one file update running.

    The only other unusual thing I noticed on task manager was it tried to run acrobat (Adobe).

    I should point out that I also reloaded my mobile broadband connection software a while back to make sure it wasn't that  and it certainly doesn't matter which browser I use when I am connected to the internet.

     I do not have an option to connect to the internet any other way.  There is no cable or WiFi connection available.

     when you get a chance please also let me know how to stop the logs you asked me to set up a short while ago.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-05T08:53:38+00:00

    Hi Kathie,

    Would you share the test result with us? So we can move forward if the information is confirmed.

    Thanks for your cooperation.

    Tisky

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-04T06:17:48+00:00

    Hi Kathie,

    Thanks for your update, we look forward to the result of the test, meanwhile, please try changing to another network environment and see the result since the problem may related to the Internet connection.

    Thanks,

    Tisky

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-03T09:35:22+00:00

    Hi Tisky

    I have  laptop not a Mac but I'll try and clean boot anyway. I'm pretty sure I tried that before I even contacted you in the first place but I  will redo for you.

     I don't have access to a wifi network. I work entirely on mobile broadband.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments