As a Preview tester, I was surprised it was released given the state of the last beta. And as in the preview, Powerpoint 2016 will not open existing .pptx and .ppt files from PPT 2011 on my computer. No error messages result; the files just
never open with PowerPoint 2016. They open perfectly well however if I open them with PowerPoint 2011.
Even more odd, all the files will open in PowerPoint 2016 But only if I email them to myself first. I have no idea why that would be. I have been on the tech-support for several hours today and have so far got nowhere.
With Excel, it seems harder to get a cell to drag to populate adjacent cells; was much more reliable in 2011. Word also seems glitchier.
All these things were reported during the Preview and remain at release. How disappointing.
I wouldn't be surprised if they rushed it out the door because they didn't have that many Mac testers and wanted to get more people to test it, and Office 365 was just an easy way to get that done since it also makes it pretty trivial for people to either
keep their old versions or downgrade back to 2011 if they had issues.
These applications are not optimized. They take up WAY TOO MUCH SPACE (about 5GB combined due to 400MB+ of fonts duplicated across all the App Packages... That is a lot of space on some people's 120GB SSDs in a MBA/P), the Load Times are just out of this
world, the Lag/Sluggishness going from tab to tab is not good at all.
I also don't see a point in using Office for Mac because it doesn't seem like the applications work together in the same way as on Windows. The way Outlook can work with OneNote on Windows, the way OneNote can work with other Office Apps like Outlook, Excel,
etc. You lose all of that onto Mac - not to mention Outlook doesn't support EAS and cannot sync to Microsoft's own Consumer PIM Services (Outlook.com) and OneNote for Mac is at about a 60% Feature Deficit compared to OneNote on Windows.
At this point it's better to run the Windows Version in a VM or Boot Camp on a Mac than to deal with the Mac Version.
It's hard to be productive on any level with apps that take 30-40 seconds to load, have 5-10 second lag/beach balls when switching ribbon tabs, etc. Some of the bugs being reported here are not indicative of an RTM-level product. It should still being
preview. They are not release quality, not yet.
The only reason I'd use these over Office 2011 (which actually performs better) is because the apps are sandboxed and it's a PITA to uninstall Office 2011 never mind the mess it makes of your Fonts due to them dumping them into Fonts->Microsoft (Causes Duplicates
in Apps, Performance issues, etc.). If the Office 2011 Apps were Sandboxed the way these are, I'd use that instead - if they were my only choice.
I just went back to the Windows version, for now.