Custom install gone?

Anonymous
2015-09-26T16:19:17+00:00

Hello,

I noticed that when I installed Office 2016 Pro it immediately installed the full package with all the apps including the ones that I don't need (OneNote, Publisher, etc.).

Isn't there a way to select during the installation which apps you want to install and which apps you don't? I remember Office 2013 did give you that option.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-28T16:06:38+00:00

    Some folks I contacted (an Office MCT) say according to their contacts @MS ,a custom install will be available in the future.

    I'm going to a MS event Nov 3 here in SF(Windows 10 & Office ) and will try and see exactly what they are planning.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-10-28T10:15:55+00:00

    The "as yet" contains the built-in implication that they intend to do something about it, however earlier comments in this thread (see the post by Rohn007, there doesn't seem to be a way to link to individual posts) don't hold out much hope if it's been an ongoing problem since 2010.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-10-28T09:59:21+00:00

    MS has not released, as yet, an msi installation for 365/2016 Pro Plus

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-10-28T09:42:55+00:00

    Good question, I'd poked around the DVD to see if there was any way to extract/install only the parts I wanted and remember seeing about 1.5GB of cabs and whatnot, but I didn't poke into every subdirectory, and wasn't really paying attention to overall sizes (the DVD is at work so I can't check now).

    It's actually not a full install (or at least it better not be!), just Word.  So 1 1/2 GB of disk space for a word processor.  That must be some sort of sign that we need to tear down civilisation and let the ants have a go.

    It's a pity WPS Office is still some way behind MS Office in terms of getting all the little details right, that's a 60MB download (yes, that's not a typo, 60MB) for the equivalent of Office.  If the current rate of progress continues, within the next few years MS Office will have become bad enough, and WPS Office good enough, that it's worth making the switch.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-10-28T08:59:09+00:00

    Take a close look at your installation disk.  Is it a DVD that is almost full, ie about 3.5 GB or is it only using about 750MB.  The full disk is a full installation file, like a MSI. But, AFIK all 365 installers are just the 700-750MB "stub" that requires the internet downloads to finish the installation.

    I was going to say that 1.45 GB for a "full office" installation is a clear indication that you only have a partial click to run installation. But then I just checked my Office 2013 Pro Plus MSI install and it is 1.16GB.  So, apparently my understanding of the size of a full Office installation is wrong. <grin>

    Take a look at the 365 Pro Plus version. As I understand it, it does include the full local install right from the start.

    Also, with Office 365, even a full year subscription, you have to connect to the internet every 30 days (give or take a few) to verify your subscription status.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments