A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Hi,
Any news about the bug fixing? Has Microsoft released a fix for this issue?
Thanks
Carlo
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have a dual-boot laptop and desktop, each w/Office 2010 on Windows 7 and Office 2013 in Windows 8.1 .
On both computers, in Excel 2013 [win 8.1], when I make any changes to a file dialog box with "Calculation ..." as outlined in the title of this msg appears.
If I click Yes, the box just reappears with every click.
If I click No, nothing happens and the file is not saved.
Nothing else can be done, and I need to exit the file without saving.
This occurs *after* making numerous changes to sophisticated files, so has become a major problem.
The workaround on both computers -- use the same files in Office 2010 in Windows 7, and the issue does not occur. Ever.
Currently Office 2013 is not usable due to this issue.
Please advise as to the problem, and especially the solution.
Thank you,
- Mik
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi,
Any news about the bug fixing? Has Microsoft released a fix for this issue?
Thanks
Carlo
I'm venting: 2013 is hinky imo. It goes down for almost an entire weekend(?). I'm done complaining.
If anyone is looking for a solution in 2013, I used the following formula to conditional format, and it appears to solve the issue for me. It doesn't work in 2010, but if you need it for 2013, try it:
=IF((LEFT(FORMULATEXT(SomeCell),1)="="), True, False)
What a pain and waste of time.
This the clue that made me realize that my "IsFormula" function had been causing issues for a long time! Thanks so much for sharing !!!
Some observations which may have something to do with the problem.
a) I had the same issue with a very simple conditional format - 4 rules setting the background colour of a column of cells depending on the text in the cell. It has always annoyed me that copying and pasting rows in this sheet does not use the original conditional format range =$A:$A) but generates 4 new conditional format rules for the pasted row with range =$A$122, and generates a new range =$A$1:$A$121;$A$123:$A$1048576 on the 4 original rules. After six months of copy/pasting rows there were an awful lot of rules. That may have been the cause of my problem.
b) Before I cleaned up I noticed that the "Stop If True" checkbox was not activated on most of the rules. That could have been the cause of my problem too.
c) The error started occurring after considerable changes to my VBA code, but none on the sheet with conditional formatting. I experience Excel 2013 running into odd sorts of issues like this, and usually get around them by rebooting W8.
Thanks to you guys for this thread - it helped me get round my issue very quickly, as my conditional formatting was easy to clear.
For me the problem happens only in a certain sheet and it seems also related to conditional formatting which is depending on a custom Function (defined in VBA). By setting breakpoints I found out that the function is executed repeatedly every few seconds (which makes not much sense). This also causes a wrong displaying of part of the section: The numbers and text in the fields and the borders of the fields just vanish, not everywhere where the conditional formatting is, but randomly in the near area (even field which are not used to calculate the conditional formatting nor have any conditional formatting themselves). Scrolling up and down makes text reappear which is not used for calculation nor has conditional formatting applied to and the other text/numbers and borders appear for about a second and then vanish again.
To work around this weird problem I simplified the conditional formatting, so it would no longer directly depend on a custom formula (EDIT: I overlooked another conditional formatting which depended on a custom formula, so the bug still was active. Also it seems that there need to be at least 2 conditional formattings in the region to cause this bug? I solved the problem for me now by completely by having no conditional formatting depend directly on a custom VBA-formula, but rather cells which contain this formula.), but on cells which use the custom formula. Since there is was not enough space, you need to scroll to the side to see these Formulas. Now I can do the following: I scroll to the cells which do the calculation for the conditional formatting with my custom formula. I click in any cell on the screen (it can be also an empty cell). Then I click in the line where I can write in formulas (next to the "fx") and press the Enter key. I did not change anything, but this causes the continuous re-calculation to finally finish. Then I scroll back and the cells appear as they should be and I can save without the repeated Error message that I need to recalculate...
That also works the other way around: When the screen now shows the cells affected by conditional formatting and I click in any cell on the screen (it can be also an empty cell). Then I click in the line where I can write in formulas (next to the "fx") and press the Enter key. Now the Bug turns on again and the view is messed up again and saving causes the repeated "Calculation is incomplete. Recalculate before saving?"-Error again.
Being able to reproducibly turning off and on the bug without making any changes to the workbook suggests that there is a serious bug in the way 2013 calculates conditional formatting. I read an article claiming that it would execute the conditional formatting 6 times in an experiment, in this case it is repeating it without stopping.
Please Fix!
Have very same problem. I may confirm that randomly the calculation does not finish which make the formating wrong when VBA macro is called from conditional formatting definition. I have simulated the wrong behaviour even when the VBA macros are empty functions (returning just True).
Any chance you would share that email please ..?
Thanks.
- Mike