Excel 2013 "Calculation is incomplete. Recalculate before saving?"

Anonymous
2014-01-02T22:52:06+00:00

I have a dual-boot laptop and desktop, each w/Office 2010 on Windows 7 and Office 2013 in Windows 8.1 .


On both computers, in Excel 2013 [win 8.1], when I make any changes to a file dialog box with "Calculation ..." as outlined in the title of this msg appears.

If I click Yes, the box just reappears with every click.

If I click No, nothing happens and the file is not saved.

Nothing else can be done, and I need to exit the file without saving.


This occurs *after* making numerous changes to sophisticated files, so has become a major problem.


The workaround on both computers -- use the same files in Office 2010 in Windows 7, and the issue does not occur. Ever.


Currently Office 2013 is not usable due to this issue.

Please advise as to the problem, and especially the solution.


Thank you,

- Mik




Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-10-23T20:45:27+00:00

    I have also been annoyed by this problem.  I am using conditional formatting that utilize custom VBA functions.  Never had an issue with Excel 2010, but Excel 2013 is flaky and works unreliably.

    I can provide an xlsm file if that would help someone at MS confirm this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-10-07T16:42:28+00:00

    I'm venting: 2013 is hinky imo.  It goes down for almost an entire weekend(?).  I'm done complaining.

    If anyone is looking for a solution in 2013, I used the following formula to conditional format, and it appears to solve the issue for me.  It doesn't work in 2010, but if you need it for 2013, try it:

    =IF((LEFT(FORMULATEXT(SomeCell),1)="="), True, False)

    What a pain and waste of time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-20T07:25:02+00:00

    I'm glad to have found this thread, because I'm experiencing exactly the same issue. I've made a custom function to check if a cell has a background color:

    Public Function HasColor(Target As Range) As Boolean

        If Target.Interior.Pattern = xlPatternNone Then

           HasColor = False

        Else

           HasColor = True

        End If

    End Function

    Then I use this function in a conditional formatting rule: 

    =AND(NOT(HasColor(A1));LEFT(A1;1)="a")

    If the cell starts with an 'a' and the user hasn't colored the cell manually then the rule will apply a color to it. This way I want to give manual formatting priority above conditional formatting.

    I also tried two rules of which the first one checks whether the cell has a background color (HasColor(A1)) and if so, the conditional formatting should stop (I checked the checkbox). This doesn't work either.

    Now I'm getting the same "Calculation incomplete" message as the previous posters. It's annoying but at least now I know it's a bug in Excel and not a fault of my own :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-19T06:48:11+00:00

    Pity! I'll report this to MSFT.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-09-18T21:46:22+00:00

    Hello Jan,

    I changed the UDF to what you suggested, and am still getting the "Calc is incomplete..." error.

    One thing to note --- if I run any vba subroutine, or refresh a pivot table, the workbook allows me to save without the error arising.

    Microsoft absolutely HAS TO FIX THIS.

    Going back to Win 7 and Excel 2010.

    Sigh.

    Thanks anyway.

    [Seriously!]

     - Mike

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments