office 365 Word won't let me type into a new document

Anonymous
2013-08-10T09:07:03+00:00

I've had Office 365 for a while now and all was good.

However for the last four weeks, or so, I have not been able to type into a new Word document. If I try to the pc just pings at me and refuses to type. No other office programme is doing this. If I open an old document, or save a new document before typing, close it then open it I can type into it.

I have Win 8 and have only installed updates from windows and new video drivers since the problem began.

I have deleted the normal template and let it recreate one on opening, but the problem still exists.

Any suggestions?

Stephen.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-10-02T15:46:27+00:00

I have solved the problem, but forgot to come on here and say how!

After playing about with the various options in Word I finally tried turning off the start screen that popped up when I started Word.

Not sure why, but now that it's turned off and a blank document opens straight away I can now type into a blank document again.

Stephen.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

54 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-09-28T13:06:45+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-09-28T12:55:33+00:00

    How did you turn off the start screen?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-08-25T21:13:45+00:00

    I've had Office 365 for a while now and all was good.

    However for the last four weeks, or so, I have not been able to type into a new Word document. If I try to the pc just pings at me and refuses to type. No other office programme is doing this. If I open an old document, or save a new document before typing, close it then open it I can type into it.

    I have Win 8 and have only installed updates from windows and new video drivers since the problem began.

    I have deleted the normal template and let it recreate one on opening, but the problem still exists.

    Any suggestions?

    Stephen.

    ok

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2017-05-15T23:34:56+00:00

    Try renaming the Normal.dotm template to OldNormal.dotm and then re-start Word and see if it overcomes the problem,

    The Normal.dotm template will be located in the

    C:\Users[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

    folder.

    If you do not see the AppData folder: -

    In Windows 7, - In Windows Explorer, click on the Organize drop down and then on Folder and search options and in the Folder Options dialog, go to the View tab and select the item "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".  While there, it is a good idea to uncheck the box for "Hide extensions for known file types".

    In Windows 8,  8.1 or 10, in the File Explorer, click on Options on the View tab of the ribbon and then on the View tab in the dialog that appears and select the item "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".  While there, it is a good idea to uncheck the box for "Hide extensions for known file types".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments