MS Word 2007 crashing and .wbk files appearing on desktop - repairs

Anonymous
2013-02-08T16:44:17+00:00

Dear Community,

I am currently using MS Word and it keeps on crashing.

I have noticed that in every instance when the MS Word 2007 restarts - the ribbon down the side will show four or five instances of one document.

I usually do not know which one to choose - one will have repairs - of which when I try and see the location of the repairs - I can not locate them.

The ribbon on the top of the screen advises me that I have Macro's - I understand this as I save most documents as Macro enabled as some of my documents have pictures etc in them.

I have ended up with a lot of documents with parts missing.

I also have MS Word creating Back up's - this is confusing me and I have more icons on my desktop. When word crashes - most of my information has disappeared.

I  have attached a link so you can see what it looks like -

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=7A797BF1CB645296!347

I am only new to MS Word 2007 - so I do not want to loose any data - yet I also want MS Word 2007 to work and not crash when mainly working on large documents.

Thank you Community

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-09T07:57:20+00:00

    When Word crashes, if you have autorecovery set (and you appear to have) Word will to recover the information at the time of the crash. However crashing also tends to leave behind temporary files that will make it more likely that Word will crash in future.

    Reasons for crashing have been discussed in some of your previous postings, but this post provides further clues.

    1. You should not be saving as macro enabled documents. Your documents don't appear to have macros in them. Documents do not need macros to be enabled for picture content. If you need macros then they are better located in the document template or a global template. Macro enabled documents are rarely required. Save as DOCX document format, and set Word's options to ensure that this is the default file format.
    2. The desktop does not behave as a normal file location - especially in Windows 7. It is not the ideal place to store documents and may be a contributory factor to the problems you are having. Save your documents in My Documents or a sub folder of My Documents and make that folder the default document folder in Word's options > Advanced > File Locations.

    The backup function is optional but advisable, especially when you are having problems. When you save a document, Word creates a backup of the previously saved version and it is useful to have such a backup to help recover from screw-ups. You can delete them when you have no further use for them

    Your illustration shows the presence of several lock files, which begin with the characters ~$. If Word is closed and these files remain, delete them as they will cause problems - see again http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm which covers the issue of lock files.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-10T16:09:49+00:00

    Hello and thank you for your reply.

    I have Windows 7 32 bit - I should have mentioned that.

    This is a screen shot as I am not sure what I am doing

    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=7A797BF1CB645296!355

    I have noticed that since changing the location that my Word has lost it's history.

    Thank for clarifying the .wbk file.

    What are .tmp and .asd files?

    I am sure that what I am describing is what link you included. I have had trouble with sharing and previous crashes - so perhaps the original location of the insertion has changed - I have now included that file in the screen shot.

    I am not into deleting files that I am unsure of, hence going on this forum.

    Thank you.

    If I have any further issues, would you mind assisting me?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-10T06:51:58+00:00

    Sorry to hear about your health issues. :(

    The file locations look correct - except for Tools which should be changed to

    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12

    or for 32 bit Windows

    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12

    i.e. the folder that contains WinWord.exe.

    Save the documents in the (default) My Documents folder and not on the desktop. You can drag the folders from the desktop to My Documents with Windows Explorer.

    You don't need to associate .wbk files with Word, though it will do no harm. These files are only meant to be emergency backups.

    The first two files in https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=7A797BF1CB645296&id=7A797BF1CB645296!352 beginning ~$ are apparently orphaned temporary files. If Word is closed and they remain, delete them.

    I am unsure what you mean by 'I also am receiving red squares in my documents when I place them into a document.' unless you mean - http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/redx.htm

    As for the temporary files in %temp%, you can delete everything in that folder that Windows will allow (you cannot delete files that are in use). Select all and press SHIFT+Delete and they will not go in the recycle bin, but will just be deleted. Treat this method with caution with normal files.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-02-09T21:10:45+00:00

    Dear Community,

    Could you please assist me how to change the location - I have followed your instructions but unsure with the Word's options > Advanced > File Locations.

    I think I remember that last time that I had the issue - I associated MS Word for all .wbk files - are they usually hidden on the desktop?

    Thank you so very much

    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=7A797BF1CB645296!353

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-02-09T20:09:46+00:00

    Thank you so much.

    I now understand so much the behaviour of my computer.

    The amount of repairs and crashes has been great.

    I went through you previous article before posting and noticed when I went into %temp% and went to clear most of the contents - it came up with the message that the link was too long for the recycle bin.

    I will attach a screen shot as I am only a beginner - which is obvious

    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=7A797BF1CB645296!350

    I was saving the pictures and other formats as .docm and I guess I sould have researched the difference of the properties and behaviours of MS Word.

    Your forum is great - I know that you have some other references - I also am receiving red squares in my documents when I place them into a document.

    I actually originally had the settings to .DOCX - silly me.

    Have you got any suggestions for back ups or just the drag and copy option?

    I appreciate your time in submitting me another reply.

    I have been notified that I only have limited time with my cancer and appreciate any one that can assist me with a brain tumour - it is tough

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments