MS Word 2007 crashing and .wbk files appearing on desktop - repairs

Anonymous
2013-02-08T16:44:17+00:00

Dear Community,

I am currently using MS Word and it keeps on crashing.

I have noticed that in every instance when the MS Word 2007 restarts - the ribbon down the side will show four or five instances of one document.

I usually do not know which one to choose - one will have repairs - of which when I try and see the location of the repairs - I can not locate them.

The ribbon on the top of the screen advises me that I have Macro's - I understand this as I save most documents as Macro enabled as some of my documents have pictures etc in them.

I have ended up with a lot of documents with parts missing.

I also have MS Word creating Back up's - this is confusing me and I have more icons on my desktop. When word crashes - most of my information has disappeared.

I  have attached a link so you can see what it looks like -

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=7A797BF1CB645296!347

I am only new to MS Word 2007 - so I do not want to loose any data - yet I also want MS Word 2007 to work and not crash when mainly working on large documents.

Thank you Community

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-12T16:02:03+00:00

    Set your Brother Printer driver as the default rather than One Note.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-12T16:00:38+00:00

    You are linking to the folder and not the file. You are setting the folder for Tools to the same folder that contains Winword.exe

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-12T15:54:10+00:00

    I am also wondering about the printer option - so I have attached that my printer settings is going to OneNote 2010.

    I do have another printer - I looked at an article but the way that it is written is perhaps not for Windows 7 and checking if the settings are correct.

    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=7A797BF1CB645296!381

    Again I do apologise for my constant enquiries

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-02-12T15:14:11+00:00

    Dear Graham,

    Thank you for clarifying all the steps. You must think that I am silly.

    I am not too sure still where link it to - so do I have it correct in the screen shot where I link it to - do you put it in the winword.exe file?

    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=7A797BF1CB645296!381

    You have been patient and I have had to upgrade my antivirus software and lost all my backups due to an issue with Norton.

    I guess I am learning that software can sometimes have issues too.

    Thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-02-12T14:48:31+00:00

    Word Options >  Advanced > File Locations select Tools. Click Modify. Select the correct folder. Click OK.  The correct folder is the folder in which winword.exe is found and that depends on the operating system. It will be either

    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12

    or

    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12

    depending on whether Windows is 32 or 64 bit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments