Cannot open files from Windows Explorer

Anonymous
2013-03-07T18:02:54+00:00

In order to open up files in excel 2013 (csv, xlsx, or xls) i must open them directly from within Excel. If I double click a file from Windows Explorer, Excel opens up but does not open the file. No errors. Just a **** excel instance. It looks like I just opened up the application from my start screen.

Other Office 2013 applications work as expected. I.e, I can open up a docx from Windows Explorer just fine.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-18T19:03:40+00:00

    This fixed it for me.

    From http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/excel-help/repair-office-programs-HA010357402.aspx

    Windows 8

    1. Press the Windows logo key + X to see a list of commands and options. (Basically a quick way to get to Programs and Features in Control Panel.)
    2. Click Programs and Features.
    3. Click the Office program you want to repair, and then click Change.
    4. Do one of the following:
    • In Office 2010, click Repair > Continue.
    • In Office 2013, click either Quick Repair or Online Repair.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-10-28T08:09:01+00:00

    This is the answer - Advanced Excel - General option was ticked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-22T23:20:20+00:00

    This can be one of two things. Either you have inadvertently set Options > Advanced > General to ignore other applications that use DDE, or the file associations have been set wrong somehow. Try checking Options, and if that's not it, open a support case. There are many registry keys to check.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-07-04T01:12:39+00:00

    I have the same problem. Clicking on a csv file launches the microsoft excel 2013 program, but not file is opened. Its really annoying the Microsoft has not yet fixed this issues, which was working properly until Excel 2010

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-05-05T13:57:28+00:00

    I cannot open any excel files directly from my email program.  When I double click to open, a command appears to "save" the file.  Then I have to go to the saved file and use command "open with"...this is annoying and a waste of time.   How to fix?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments