Cannot open files from Windows Explorer

Anonymous
2013-03-07T18:02:54+00:00

In order to open up files in excel 2013 (csv, xlsx, or xls) i must open them directly from within Excel. If I double click a file from Windows Explorer, Excel opens up but does not open the file. No errors. Just a **** excel instance. It looks like I just opened up the application from my start screen.

Other Office 2013 applications work as expected. I.e, I can open up a docx from Windows Explorer just fine.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-02T00:47:20+00:00

    Looks like an upgrade issue.  I had 2010 pro installed when i installed 2013 pro.  I uninstalled it after 2013 finished installing.  I was worried my outlook settings might get messed with.  Looks like that was the problem.  I just ran the 2013 installer again and now excel files open properly.  I was hoping that would fix my other annoying issue where clicking "enable editing" in word documents causes word to crash... but i suppose that's for another thread.

    Advice to anyone with this issue or who is going to upgrade to 2013 - uninstall your current version of office first, or just re-install 2013.  Worked for me, maybe it will work for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-20T00:13:59+00:00

    I have the same problem.  When I reinstall Office 2013 it works correctly again.  I believe the problem is reappearing when an automatic update occurs.  I get repeated error messages that the file converter failed to save the file.  File association is not the problem, although it worked once, then the problem started right back.  Can't open recent Office files from the Start menu list and can't open files by double clicking them in Explorer.  This is a real pain and apparently unique to Office 2013.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-05-21T21:55:31+00:00

    Looks like an upgrade issue.  I had 2010 pro installed when i installed 2013 pro.  I uninstalled it after 2013 finished installing.  I was worried my outlook settings might get messed with.  Looks like that was the problem.  I just ran the 2013 installer again and now excel files open properly.  I was hoping that would fix my other annoying issue where clicking "enable editing" in word documents causes word to crash... but i suppose that's for another thread.

    Advice to anyone with this issue or who is going to upgrade to 2013 - uninstall your current version of office first, or just re-install 2013.  Worked for me, maybe it will work for you.

    I cannot open CSV files with 2013 Excel either.  I use EXCEL 2010 to open it and save it as XLS. Then 2013 will open it.  Also 2013 Excel cannot handle the number of rows Excel 2010 does.  I have to process lots (70,000) rows in 2010.  Then delete those I do not need, and with some luck 2013 Excel opens it ( around 40,000).  The more I work with 2013 EXCEL the LESS I like it.  Not even sure how it made it though QA.  Even more problems with PowerPivot 2013 vs. PowerPivot 2010.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-03-09T15:26:09+00:00

    Hi,

    First try my advice again

    Second, try to Repair Offic.

    HTH

    JY Tfelt

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-03-07T19:55:47+00:00

    The files are correctly associated with Excel, just double checked that.

    I agree with the csv statement.  And mine by default open up in notepad++.  If i right click the .csv and tell it to open up with Execl the same thing happens - well nothing happens that is.

    The View tab in the ribbon is almost totally grayed out.  The only menu option i can click on is "Macros".

    It really feels like all opening up a file from Windows Explorer does is launch Excel 2013, but not load the file.

    Scott

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments