Cannot open files from Windows Explorer

Anonymous
2013-03-07T18:02:54+00:00

In order to open up files in excel 2013 (csv, xlsx, or xls) i must open them directly from within Excel. If I double click a file from Windows Explorer, Excel opens up but does not open the file. No errors. Just a **** excel instance. It looks like I just opened up the application from my start screen.

Other Office 2013 applications work as expected. I.e, I can open up a docx from Windows Explorer just fine.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-10T00:59:19+00:00

    Here too.   I have tried several of the solutions recommended online to no avail.   Quite strange there is not more momentum/frustration out there about this issue...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-04-01T01:00:20+00:00

    This solution worked for me.   I made sure all Office apps were closed before reinstalling.  Afterward everything worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-03-04T11:56:21+00:00

    Worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Anonymous
    2014-12-21T21:51:34+00:00

    this is not a fix that works

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments