Word 2010 Multilevel list - Numbers disappear

Anonymous
2013-02-18T18:03:37+00:00

I am using Word 2010 with Windows 7.

I have an 82 page document that has headings numbered with a multilevel list.  I use a defined styles for each level and have used outline functions to assign levels to each heading.  Once the style is set and levels assigned I have used the multilevel list to give each a number.  In numerous heading levels I had to set the number using the 'set numbering value'.

Once I completed the entire file I created a .pdf of the file and saved the file.  I also restricted the styles to just those used in the document.

When I open the file about half of the numbers are gone.

This has happened twice.

I really need help!

thanks.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-02-05T20:19:52+00:00

    Thanks much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-02-04T00:10:16+00:00

    Sorry, I should have clarified that I have only looked at the template so far. I'll save the document for later.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-04T00:02:13+00:00

    A first look at your example files doesn't reveal an obvious problem...

    When the problem occurs, what does the document look like in Print Preview (File | Print or Ctrl+F2)?

    I wish it were something obvious!

    Print preview looks the same (no numbers displayed in Print Preview where they appear missing in the doc). The ToC maintains the numbering until the whole table is updated (not just the page numbers). If I put the cursor in a numbered line, then click the Multilevel list dropdown, the area where the numbers should be is gray, as if it still recognizes that something should be there, but nothing is displayed.

    As soon as I hit "OK" in the Format-Numbering dialog (from within the Modify multilevel list dialog), the missing numbers magically reappear.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-02-03T23:51:27+00:00

    A first look at your example files doesn't reveal an obvious problem...

    When the problem occurs, what does the document look like in Print Preview (File | Print or Ctrl+F2)?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-02-03T23:02:36+00:00

    I'm checking with the primary person who does editing on these to see, but I don't expect that is the (at least, the only) problem. I've had the numbering break on files I created and am the only one working on, and that setting has always been unchecked on my computer. 

    I have a quick fix for it - modify the list style, open format - numbering, and click okay w/o making any changes - this brings all the numbers back without having to re-locate the template; however, this is happening enough that I need a way to prevent it from happening, not just fix it.

    This is what I find most odd - I don't need to change anything to bring the numbers back - almost like I just need to remind Word that I do actually have numbers set via the multilevel list style. The style is selected in the document, just the numbers cease to be applied to it.

    After 8 months or so, it's driving me a bit crazy - the system works perfectly otherwise, but not being able to stop this from happening is a problem, as these files get sent out electronically so often.

    Thanks again for your ideas, and any further thoughts! I really appreciate it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments