Word 2010 Multilevel list - Numbers disappear

Anonymous
2013-02-18T18:03:37+00:00

I am using Word 2010 with Windows 7.

I have an 82 page document that has headings numbered with a multilevel list.  I use a defined styles for each level and have used outline functions to assign levels to each heading.  Once the style is set and levels assigned I have used the multilevel list to give each a number.  In numerous heading levels I had to set the number using the 'set numbering value'.

Once I completed the entire file I created a .pdf of the file and saved the file.  I also restricted the styles to just those used in the document.

When I open the file about half of the numbers are gone.

This has happened twice.

I really need help!

thanks.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-06-23T18:46:17+00:00

    Thanks, will do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-06-23T18:33:46+00:00

    Treating the affected documents as corrupt is the best policy here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-06-23T17:41:39+00:00

    Thanks for your reply, Stefan!

    "Automatically update document styles" is most certainly not enabled in the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box. I know this option quite well.

    The problem only occurs with some documents, not all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-05-19T23:46:34+00:00

    Thanks for the follow-up. As you wrote, this may be one issue or several issues put together.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments