Word 2010 Multilevel list - Numbers disappear

Anonymous
2013-02-18T18:03:37+00:00

I am using Word 2010 with Windows 7.

I have an 82 page document that has headings numbered with a multilevel list.  I use a defined styles for each level and have used outline functions to assign levels to each heading.  Once the style is set and levels assigned I have used the multilevel list to give each a number.  In numerous heading levels I had to set the number using the 'set numbering value'.

Once I completed the entire file I created a .pdf of the file and saved the file.  I also restricted the styles to just those used in the document.

When I open the file about half of the numbers are gone.

This has happened twice.

I really need help!

thanks.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-02-03T22:38:28+00:00

    It's possible that the documents are being opened on a computer where the user has the option set for "Automatically update document styles" which is causing the styles that you have defined with the corresponding style from the user's Normal.dotm template.

    You can easily re-instate the numbering by clicking on the Document Template button in the Templates section of the Developer tab of the ribbon and then select your Lease template.dotx as the template to be attached and temporarily check the box for "Automatically update document styles"  You should not however leave that box checked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-03T19:57:01+00:00

    Thanks. Here are two files:

    Broken Lease:  https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=6AD96FAB0CC05B37%21107

    (only the first level of numbering broke on this doc, though often it's all of them)

    Template: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=6AD96FAB0CC05B37%21108

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-02-03T19:46:39+00:00

    You can make the file public on SkyDrive and post a link here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-02-03T19:35:45+00:00

    Be glad to - do you know of a good way to do this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-02-03T19:24:30+00:00

    Could you share any of the templates with the forum (remove any sensitive information, of course)?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments