Excel "=SUM" formula does not add up numbers correctly

Anonymous
2013-04-02T16:39:01+00:00

I have an Excel formula issue in the formula not resulting in the correct sum, but it is not a rounding error; rather it is off by an entire cell amount. As an example, I was adding eight cells with the value of $3,001.53 which should have resulted in a total of $24,012.24, but instead I got $21,010.71 (off by one cell value). I triple-checked to make sure that the formula included all cell addresses I was trying to add, which it did. I tried deleting the formula and doing it over again, saving the spread sheet as different versions of Excel, putting the formula in a different cell location, all to no avail. There were other similar errors in the spread sheet. FYI, I am not adding concecutive cells, rather, selecting certain cells using Ctrl, left click.

I'm using Excel 2010 Version 14.1.6129.5000 (32-bit).

Please advise.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-19T17:01:53+00:00

    2007 has the exact same issue/flaw/bug. It's happening to me when I copy some cells into a table. Doing F2 enter on the cells I'm copying from, fixes the problem on future copy and pastes.

    It sure would would be nice if someone from Microsoft was to read this forum and fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-16T15:07:49+00:00

    This worked!  My column was not summing to the correct sum....I went to the Formula Tab>Error Checking>Circular Reference.  This showed me where my circular reference was....Once I fixed this the column was summed correctly.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-06-29T10:02:01+00:00

    I have the same issue, but I have had these formulas set up for years. All of a sudden today I notice this problem. I use excel extensively for budgetary reason. I appreciate trying to be helpful, but why should I have to change my format to general, and it is definitely not a text.  I'm not the greatest computer lit guy around, but having said the above, can anyone explain this? I was recently forced to accept windows 10, could this be part of the problem? Additionally, I opened a new excel sheet created the formulas and the addition formula works fine. Correctly.  Can anyone tell me how do I save my original sheets and formulas without having to redo everything?  Is that what future changes are going to be like?  I also noticed on my sheet, If I put the cursor on the formula bar up top  without disturbing the formula and hit enter. The sum formula works. I hope this is a glitch on there part and fix this. Anyone know who I can contact about this or what to do? Thank You.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-08-01T21:22:27+00:00

    Ronald wrote:

    I have Microsoft office 365 - Excel is not adding certain cells correctly[.] e.g. - say - =sum(i43:i59) = should be £32000 - Excel is adding it as £43000[.] Found that it is including cells i63-i72

    If you wrote I43:I59 as shown, it is not including I63:I72.

    (Unless you mean that some values in I43:I59 are the same as some values in I63:I72, either by coincidence or by design.)

    Two common reasons why the SUM might be wrong.

    1. The workbook is in Manual calculation mode.  If you modify some of the cells in I43:I59, the changes will not be reflected in the result of the SUM formula.  Change to Automatic calculation.  Or just press f9.
    2. Some of the values in I43:I59 are text, even if they appear to be numbers.  To confirm, enter the formula

    =ISTEXT(I43) into J43 and copy down through J59.  It is not sufficient to look at the cell format; we can enter text into a cell with a numeric format.  The remedy depends on the content of I43:I59.

    If you cannot correct the problem yourself, I suggest that you upload an example Excel file (redacted) that duplicates the problem to a file-sharing website (e.g. box.net/files), and post the public/share URL in a response here.  (Actually, you should start your own question, not piggyback someone else's.)  Test the URL first, being careful to log out of the file-sharing website.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-03-01T20:08:21+00:00

    For each of those cells that make up the sum, can you select each one at a time and look in the formula bar to see that they actually have 3,001.53 as their value?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments