Excel "=SUM" formula does not add up numbers correctly

Anonymous
2013-04-02T16:39:01+00:00

I have an Excel formula issue in the formula not resulting in the correct sum, but it is not a rounding error; rather it is off by an entire cell amount. As an example, I was adding eight cells with the value of $3,001.53 which should have resulted in a total of $24,012.24, but instead I got $21,010.71 (off by one cell value). I triple-checked to make sure that the formula included all cell addresses I was trying to add, which it did. I tried deleting the formula and doing it over again, saving the spread sheet as different versions of Excel, putting the formula in a different cell location, all to no avail. There were other similar errors in the spread sheet. FYI, I am not adding concecutive cells, rather, selecting certain cells using Ctrl, left click.

I'm using Excel 2010 Version 14.1.6129.5000 (32-bit).

Please advise.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-02T23:52:52+00:00

    Hi.  When you select the 8 cells, take a look at the lower right corner of the status bar line.

    What does the 'Count and 'Sum say?

    (I just turned on 'Numerical Count' with Excel 2013.  I honestly don't remember if this was an option in Excel 2010.  I've had Excel 2013 now for only a week  :>~   )

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-04-21T19:36:34+00:00

    <removed>

    I have been using Excel for almost twenty years, as a construction estimator I use Excel daily and I depend on Excel for income. If Excel is not functioning correctly I lose income.

     Using Excel 2016. This same error, where cells are SUM to zero instead of the actual sum occurred in Excel internally. I did nothing to cause it. It started when I noticed my SUM cell was not changing. I tried to fix the cell and now I get Zero. Tried new cells, new locations and the same failed results.

     When selecting cell, the SUM in the lower right is correct. But the AutoSum still will not work. I have forty tabs with forty estimates and all their sums link to a summary tab. I can’t afford this. I don’t have the time; my bid is due. I require Excel to function correctly.

    Have checked: Cells are formatted correctly, no hidden rows (bad idea with estimates), File>Options>Formulas>Workbook Calculation>Automatic was checked, and there is not tiny yellow diamond.

    Microsoft needs to fix this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-10-05T03:12:27+00:00

    In my experience any numbers that add up to 0 are those that have been formatted as Text in most cases.

    Gord

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-08-09T23:53:56+00:00

    All of a sudden, I find that spreadsheets I have been using for over a decade no longer calculate simple math correctly. Simple math! I have a column of numbers that I add up using =sum(..) function, which has been the same for decades. i started noticing bogus output a few weeks ago in one spreadsheet and have been scratching my head over it.  Now, when I change the numbers in the column being added, the output cell remains the same! WTF???? I thought I had a buggy spreadsheet or maybe a virus. Each time I wanted to do the calculation, I had to clear the output cell and reenter the function.  Today, I saw the same behavior in another spreadsheet that I have used for years and years. So I called Microsoft.  Those idiots batted me around between support "professionals" for a long while and I did some searching while I was on hold until I found your post, checked the settings, and surprise surprise surpise - you are correct. It was set to "manual" instead of "automatic"! But the question is, when was this "feature" added, and the bigger question is who the f would ever think of such a stupid idea and set it as the default without warning the entire world that their spreadsheets would no longer perform basic math???? my God. I am at a loss. A loss! How many errors have I been putting out to my business partners with my spreadsheet output and for how f-ing long? I simply cannot imagine any purpose for setting it to "manual". That is why we use spreadsheets! To quickly perform mathematical functions. If I wanted to do the work manually, I'd use a goddam adding machine for christsakes. What idiot though of this and when did Microsoft(brains) foist this upon us? I certainly never changed this setting in Excel and never heard of it before, nor would I ever think there was a want or a need out there to manually calculate data in a spreadsheet! Has the entire world been taken over by idiots? Has Microsoft been infected by morons? Or have I been unknowingly transported into a parallel dimension of idiots when before I lived in one where a) no one with even a high school education would even think of such a "feature" and b) Donald Trump was just a bankrupt failed businessman, not president of the US. Please, please tell me how I can get back to the other dimension where at least these two elements of my new reality do not exist. Please!

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-10-11T21:22:19+00:00

    I had this problem too. Go to Options menu under the File Tab.

    Under Excel options there should be one that says Formulas and under that/beside that Calculation Options and Workbook Calculation. Make sure Automatic is checked.

    Wow! What a life saver. Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments