Excel "=SUM" formula does not add up numbers correctly

Anonymous
2013-04-02T16:39:01+00:00

I have an Excel formula issue in the formula not resulting in the correct sum, but it is not a rounding error; rather it is off by an entire cell amount. As an example, I was adding eight cells with the value of $3,001.53 which should have resulted in a total of $24,012.24, but instead I got $21,010.71 (off by one cell value). I triple-checked to make sure that the formula included all cell addresses I was trying to add, which it did. I tried deleting the formula and doing it over again, saving the spread sheet as different versions of Excel, putting the formula in a different cell location, all to no avail. There were other similar errors in the spread sheet. FYI, I am not adding concecutive cells, rather, selecting certain cells using Ctrl, left click.

I'm using Excel 2010 Version 14.1.6129.5000 (32-bit).

Please advise.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-08T14:39:52+00:00

    This is still a problem for me in Excel 2013, after trying all of these suggestions. It turns out the cells not being added were those which were constants (like 7 or =7), instead of calculations (like =A2*2).

    WORKAROUND SOLUTION that works for me: Change what I referred to as 'constants' [I know that's probably the wrong word] to formulas multiplied by 1. For example, change '7' to '=1*7'. Then it'll be added in the sum formula.

    Very strange!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-08T22:34:28+00:00

    I had this issue and tried many fixes. After wasting tons of time I decided to copy the whole table to a googledoc. I updated the formulas and it worked! I then saved the file as an excel file.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-04-22T16:11:39+00:00

    Hi,

    We recommend that you try this article: SUM function. This link provides information and troubleshooting steps. If the link provided does not resolve the issue, we suggest that you try to open Office apps in safe mode on a Windows PC and check if the issue still persist.

    Let us know how it goes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-19T17:08:49+00:00

    "It's happening to me when I copy some cells into a table"  From where are you copying? The problem should not occur if you are coping form another Excel file but who knows what you pick up when you copy from a webpage - could be odd spaces after numbers turning them to text.

    Let's us have the full picture. If possible post files to OneDrive so we can experiment

    best wishes

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-03-02T04:13:22+00:00

    Absolutely. This is very worrying. I now have to check all sums or additions very carefully and have no idea how much this flaw in Excel has affected work, except presume that it commenced with 2013 version and onwards

    Once the cell is found it has to be re-entered F2  etc as described by others.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments