How to turn off "Microsoft Office Upload Center" in Office 2010

Anonymous
2012-01-07T18:34:27+00:00

As stated, I've recently installed office 2010 32-bit on Windows 7 UltSP1.  Now I have an orange icon in the tray which highlights as "Microsoft office Upload Center" and I see no way to disable this "mini-app"  Any ideas?  I'm sure there must be a way.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-01-07T21:50:35+00:00

I found out how.  You can block its startup by unchecking it in msconfig> startup, the MSOSYNC entry,   Also it can be blocked in a registry edit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Remove the "OfficeSyncProcess" DWord entry

Following a restart the system tray icon did not appear, nor do I see any process for it running.  This issue has been discussed in some previous posts related to Office 2010 integration wiht sharepoint and SkyDrive, apparently.  I had just not encountered it before having Office 2010 on a machine.

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-23T07:58:42+00:00

    I have to agree, MS have made a big annoyance with this. A process I never use, for a feature I never use and I cannot switch it off. I do not want to have unused network applications sitting around waiting to upload my stuff to somewhere. It sounds like a security hole to me.

    For the record, I also agree that the solution of disabling this in MSCONFIG and editing the registry are not the solution. I had no MSOSYNC record in either and yet it was still starting.

    It is easy enough to kill the process with task manager, and I have renamed the exe file so I guess I will find out what happens next time I boot. It wouldn't surprise me if MS have found some other way to make this process launch though, the OS is unnecessarily complex and restrictive today by a very long mile and doig basic tasks is no longer the domain of the user or even the administrator. Give us back our OS and let us manage the thing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-04-18T12:10:06+00:00

    Re:  file permissions

    Possibly this could help...

    http://www.wikihow.com/Change-File-Permissions-on-Windows-7

    '---

    Jim Cone

    Portland, Oregon USA

    free & commercial excel programs (n/a xl2013)

    https://jumpshare.com/b/O5FC6LaBQ6U3UPXjOmX2

     

    Hi, thanks for your reply but I know how to change permissions. I simply do not understand what the poster meant by making the user the owner of the file. Who is the user? The administrator or a non-administrator account? It is badly worded and that is what I would like clarity on. Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-04-17T14:26:05+00:00

    Re:  file permissions

    Possibly this could help...

    http://www.wikihow.com/Change-File-Permissions-on-Windows-7

    '---

    Jim Cone

    Portland, Oregon USA

    free & commercial excel programs (n/a xl2013)

    http://jmp.sh/K95N3ee

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-04-17T03:56:39+00:00

    Is anyone able to help please.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments