Install to D drive instead of default C drive

Anonymous
2013-02-27T18:21:38+00:00

I use an SSD for my C drive as a boot drive only. I would like to download and install Office 365 from Microsoft but am unable to do so since there seems to be no way to get it to download to my D drive. How can I do a custom install to the D drive, since there isn't enough room on the C drive? Please and thanks,

Resa

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-28T08:37:43+00:00

Hi Resa,

Thank you for choosing Office 365/2013 and thanks for providing us an opportunity to assist you. By the description, it looks like you do not have enough space in C drive so want to know if we can install Office 365 suite on a different drive.

Have you purchased Office 365 Home Premium subscription or Office 2013 perpetual license?

Unlike previous version of Office, the new Office 365 Home Premium uses the Click-to-Run technology to install. Click-to-Run is a streaming and virtualization technology and Streaming allows users to use a Click-to-Run product before the complete product is downloaded.

By default Office 365 Home Premium installs on the respective drive where the Operating System is installed and cannot be customized.

However for Office 2013 suite (perpetual License), you also get the setup file (Complete Setup file) using which you can install on the D drive.

Though you install the Office 2013 on D Drive, all the registry entries or some of the installation files will be installed on the C Drive where the Operating system is installed.

If you have any query and issues with Office suites and office related products, reply and we will be happy to assist you.

Thank You

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-03T01:27:40+00:00

    For the same raison I have cancelled my subscription to have the licence renewed every year, no control to were I want it installed. I have try to install it again since the last time ( a month ago) thinking that Microsoft would please their customer, and it still no control to were I want it install. It is removed again and waiting if Microsoft hopefully will be nice to make it so, that way we won't fill the SSD C: drive. I have not ask for a refund since I believe Microsoft will do the right thing

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-10-23T14:57:43+00:00

    That's the whole problem. It is unacceptable for Windows to use the system drive for programs. That's why I purchased a fast HDD drive, so I could boot instantly from my SSD, and run programs from the HDD. Just one of my program folders (where the program insists on storing its huge database) is larger than my entire SSD drive. I installed Windows 10 because I read it allows moving programs to another drive, because I was tired of having to repair Windows 7 after every update, to make it accept programs on my HDD, but Microsoft did not keep its promise, and Windows STILL puts application data on drive C:!!!!  I've been seriously considering Linux because I'm tired of fighting with this one unacceptable FLAW with Windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-08-02T15:56:10+00:00

    So how do I go about getting my refund from Best Buy for this useless product that should have vetted on the packaging that you cannot direct install - why did MS decide to suddenly make this change

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-07-15T00:23:24+00:00

    Thank you, Bruce.

    Palcouk -

    Your advice is very helpful, but I have run into yet one other problem.

    I can delete the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office Directory, but am unable to delete the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15 Directory.  Windows indicates there is a Task or Service in use and will not allow the Directory to be Deleted.

    I have stopped all Tasks and Services that were obviously Office related, but am unable to delete the Directory and continue with the balance of your instructions.

    How can I determine what other Task or Service is running and preventing me from Deleting the Directory?

    Thank you again,

    John

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments