Install to D drive instead of default C drive

Anonymous
2013-02-27T18:21:38+00:00

I use an SSD for my C drive as a boot drive only. I would like to download and install Office 365 from Microsoft but am unable to do so since there seems to be no way to get it to download to my D drive. How can I do a custom install to the D drive, since there isn't enough room on the C drive? Please and thanks,

Resa

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-28T08:37:43+00:00

Hi Resa,

Thank you for choosing Office 365/2013 and thanks for providing us an opportunity to assist you. By the description, it looks like you do not have enough space in C drive so want to know if we can install Office 365 suite on a different drive.

Have you purchased Office 365 Home Premium subscription or Office 2013 perpetual license?

Unlike previous version of Office, the new Office 365 Home Premium uses the Click-to-Run technology to install. Click-to-Run is a streaming and virtualization technology and Streaming allows users to use a Click-to-Run product before the complete product is downloaded.

By default Office 365 Home Premium installs on the respective drive where the Operating System is installed and cannot be customized.

However for Office 2013 suite (perpetual License), you also get the setup file (Complete Setup file) using which you can install on the D drive.

Though you install the Office 2013 on D Drive, all the registry entries or some of the installation files will be installed on the C Drive where the Operating system is installed.

If you have any query and issues with Office suites and office related products, reply and we will be happy to assist you.

Thank You

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-26T15:37:37+00:00

    "Online" EXCEL s extremely limited compared to "resident" version. I have the same issues with SSD.  If given option I would only load Word and EXCEL, but likewise this is no longer an option. Disturbing MS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-05T05:30:15+00:00

    Thank you.  I purchased the Office 365 renewable.  It is coming up for renewal in a week, so I can cancel the renewal and go buy Office 2013 to install in my D drive.  Can you please help me on how to do that.  My C drive is only 32 GB and only holds Office 365 and Skype, and it is so full that I cannot even update my Windows 10.  Please help me to make room on the C drive.  Thank you.

    Jose

     Jose please understand that I'm not a microsoft tech. That being said it's not that click-to-run is bad it's that between programs windows installer for the different office products including Office 2013, 2016, and 365 all use click to run you will get an error when you try to run more than one installer. Please read the following article and then click on the way to uninstall your current version of office. This problem raised its nasty head in Windows 8. Quite honestly I'm not sure if windows will fix it because with the online apps for office you really don't need to have anything resident on such a small hard drive. Really the only files that would be saved to your computer are your personal document so I know what Microsoft is thinking. Many of the new tablets and notebooks just don't have the space. here's the link

    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/office-installed-with-click-to-run-and-windows-installer-on-same-computer-isn-t-supported-30775ef4-fa77-4f47-98fb-c5826a6926cd?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US. 

    next thing you need to know there is a program to help you remove all remnants of a previous build. That would be option 2 on how to remove if you follow the article above. Sorry just copy the link and put in the address bar and it will take you to that portion of microsoft's website. I hope this helps. I do know that it's hard to understand why MS makes so hard on everyone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-05T02:11:26+00:00

    Thank you.  I purchased the Office 365 renewable.  It is coming up for renewal in a week, so I can cancel the renewal and go buy Office 2013 to install in my D drive.  Can you please help me on how to do that.  My C drive is only 32 GB and only holds Office 365 and Skype, and it is so full that I cannot even update my Windows 10.  Please help me to make room on the C drive.  Thank you.

    Jose

    you are asking the wrong person.  I have the same problem except my C drive is 125 GB.  I plan to solve the problem by getting a larger C drive.  Don't know why they make is so hard to use a drive other than C drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-04-24T18:44:39+00:00

    Thank you.  I purchased the Office 365 renewable.  It is coming up for renewal in a week, so I can cancel the renewal and go buy Office 2013 to install in my D drive.  Can you please help me on how to do that.  My C drive is only 32 GB and only holds Office 365 and Skype, and it is so full that I cannot even update my Windows 10.  Please help me to make room on the C drive.  Thank you.

    Jose

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments