Office is installing in the background (84%) stuck there.

Anonymous
2013-01-31T11:32:44+00:00

While I trying to install Office 2013, the process of the background installation seem like pausing at 84% and not moving.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-09T18:12:27+00:00

    Thanks for the reply.  I tried your suggestion.  It gets me to the same computer management window that the other method does but I still don't have the Local Users and Groups option under System Tools, nor do I on the other two computers that installed fine. 

    You need to be logged on to an Account that has Administrative Privileges.  ( there are only 2 accounts on the computer: Rick and Guest.  I am logged in as Rick which has administrator privileges) Then, here's another way to get to the same place...

    1.  Click Start
    2.  In the Search box type "CompMgmtLauncher.exe" and hit enter
    3.  A window should open with Computer Management at the top (It does)
    4.  Expand System Tools in the left pane
    5.  Click Local Users and Groups  (there is no Local Users and Groups option under System Tools)
    6.  In the right pane double click Groups
    7.  Double click Administrators
    8.  Click Add
    9.  From Location select your local computer name.
    10.  Type "N" under "Enter the object names to select (example)11.  Select "NETWORK SERVICE"
    11.  Click OK out of it
    12.  Try the install of the Office again

    Hope this helps.  Good luck.

    Joe

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-06-09T17:35:52+00:00

    You need to be logged on to an Account that has Administrative Privileges.  Then, here's another way to get to the same place...

    1.  Click Start
    2.  In the Search box type "CompMgmtLauncher.exe" and hit enter
    3.  A window should open with Computer Management at the top
    4.  Expand System Tools in the left pane
    5.  Click Local Users and Groups
    6.  In the right pane double click Groups
    7.  Double click Administrators
    8.  Click Add
    9.  From Location select your local computer name.
    10.  Type "N" under "Enter the object names to select (example)11.  Select "NETWORK SERVICE"
    11.  Click OK out of it
    12.  Try the install of the Office again

    Hope this helps.  Good luck.

    Joe

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-09T13:37:01+00:00

    I have three computers all running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 with all the latest updates installed.  When I go to the start>right click computer>manage under system tools I have five choices.  These are Task Scheduler, Event Viewer, Shared folders, Performance, and device manager.  There is no local users and group.  I get the same result on each computer.  Two of them installed fine but one refuses and stops at 84%.

    Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

    Thanks, Rick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-09T12:48:01+00:00

    This worked for me...

    • Click start
    • right click Compute
    • click Manage
    • under System Tools
    • click Local Users and Groups
    • in the right pane double click Groups
    • double click Administrators
    • click Add
    • from Location select your local computer name.
    • type "N" under "Enter the object names to select (example)
    • Select "NETWORK SERVICE"
    • click OK out of it
    • Try the install of the Office again

    There has to be an account in the Administrator Group called NETWORK SERVICE for the installation to proceed past 84%.  Without this account, installation stalls and activation fails.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-06-09T03:41:13+00:00

    Also stuck at 84%, at which the WiFi traffic stops all of a sudden.

    Have tried uninstalling, re-installing and repairing with the exact same result.

    When repairing though, a info box with "We're sorry, we couldn't install Office" pops up, and the install continues to 84% even though I click "cancel install".

    I can't open anything, I can't print. help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments