add to dictionary greyed out in word 2010

Anonymous
2011-02-26T02:06:38+00:00

i'm not able to add words to my dictionary in word 2010.  when i right click on an underlined word, 'add to dictionary' is greyed out.  please help!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-11-02T03:56:26+00:00

This is how I solved the problem:

Go to File, Options, Proofing and click on Custom Dictionaries. Then pick the dictionary language. Then you will see your language in the list with a checked box next to it.  Remove the check and check it again. Then click OK and OK. And hopefully your problem will be solved.

This worked for me, I hope works for you too.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-09-21T23:19:55+00:00

    vicfatah

    I completely share your frustration with this and other forums where people simply refuse to read the question and then give a specific answer.

    Instead they make a poor attempt to try and validate their worth to the forum by either referring you elswhere or answering a different problem to the one that is posted.

    If you don't have an answer...simply don't post a reply!!!

    On that note, the most common cause of 'Add to dictionary' being greyed out is because the document language and the Proffing language are not the same.

    In office 2010 go to File>Options>Proofing click on Custom Dictionaries, at the bottom of the dialogue box change Dictionary Language to All Languages.

    You will now be able to add words to your dictionary no matter what language the document is set to.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-09-15T08:09:35+00:00

    Thank you. This worked for me.Having just bought Office 2011 and updated yesterday I was surprised to find this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-08-05T22:30:20+00:00

    If you are using the correct dictionary, check that the document is in the correct language.  Or just set it by:

    <ctl-A> to select the entire doc

    proofing - Language - Language - Set Proofing Language.

    Sorry Hankka, but this doesn't help at all.

    I can't see why Microsoft can get a grip on this. It is not as though Word is some little-used bit of software. As I have stated before, the spellcheck worked fine when I first got the computer, so the problem is most likely related to an update download.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments