Classic Outlook with Google Sync has suddenly stopped working (as of June 2)

Anonymous
2025-06-03T11:17:51+00:00

As of yesterday, GSMO which I've been using (mostly) without issue for 8 years has stopped working. Outlook continually freezes and installing/uninstalling both apps is not working. I have a very mature work process within Outlook and using Gmail alone will not be able to match it. I have done some trash/old message clean up in Gmail to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions? Desperate here!

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-06-03T21:16:18+00:00

Had the exact same issue. Started today too (June 3rd 2025). Just before it started, when I opened outlook it wanted to do a authentication verification. It opened a chrome tab and I confirmed the login and rights. Right after that - within 5 seconds of opening outlook, outlook windows all close (silent crash) with no errors shown. I have a secondary outlook profile to an M365 mailbox that does not use google workplace sync and that profile still works normally.

I set my laptop to airplane mode, opened my normal outlook profile with GSMO. With airplane mode on, I could access the Google Workspace Sync icon on the taskbar, Turn Sync Modules on/off - deselect Google Contacts.

Turned airplane mode off again, Close and reopen outlook and email sync is fixed.

Looks pretty definite that google has a bug to fix here. Just gotta remember to recheck "Google Contacts" after their next update.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-05T06:13:27+00:00

    MAny thanks, I my productivity dropped quickly when the same thing happend to me and I had to try the new outlook. Your suggestion worked like a charm and got me back into my favored Outlook Classic on Google account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-04T17:34:23+00:00

    Same here .. Yesterday (June 3) everything worked fine.... TODAY, Google Workspace sync for Outlook (Classic) "re-sync" simply will not complete even though I have received some email in Outlook. And yet, when I log into my Gmail account through my 'preferred browser" (Firefox) and examine the inbox, I watched as it took over five minutes for a worthless email piece from Ebay to appear in Outlook (Classic) - which is my preferred email client and a part of my Office 2021 Pro installation. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has been changed anywhere In my PC (since it was 'powered off' all night long after my normal 'working hours' ended at approximately 5:30 pm), and yet, today when I booted up, I had to verify that it was my account I was attempting to 'sync' with... And this happens altogether too often, IMHO, and SEEMS to be directly related to usage of Outlook Classic and Google Sync rather than the "new" Outlook - which I simply do not want to use, thank you very much... (Why? Well, I don't get the B.S. 'ads" in Outlook Classic that I DO receive in Outlook 'new'... Nah -TOTALLY unrelated, I'm sure....).

    Sometimes I just don't want to go to work just because I then have contend with this type of frustration... Hello..!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-03T17:34:56+00:00

    Also, I went in and removed another large folder from IMAP and started the synch again... right now it hasn't frozen yet. I had also removed all other types of synch like Contacts, Calendar etc. When I tried to add Contacts in, it froze up again. It will open for just long enough to add/remove module options, so I may add/remove all of them to see which ones break the synch. I can live without most things, just not mail.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-03T16:36:46+00:00

    Storage used by Gmail is, per Google Workspace, 8.79 GB - however I have removed many of the older folders from IMAP visibility, so that real amount is much smaller. Last time I checked my folder size in Outlook it was only around 3GB. Max size was set to 4GB.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments